Sweetcorn in...

• 42 Replies

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
Re: Sweetcorn in...
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 16:05 »
I seem to have a knack for annoying people on here, but I don't care!! I'll always try to plant things a bit early as sometimes it pays off, the soil is very warm and night temperatures are warm. I expect them to drop next month as they did last year though but I have closhes to cover then with. I have a greenhouse with more than enough back-ups so it doesn't matter if they sulk a bit. I'm doing things early this year as my baby is due in the middle of June and I won't have time then! Always the optimist!! :)

Go for it - if you cant do it later what have you got to lose - and you might just make everyone jealous at your site when your muching on your juicy sweetcorn!!!

muntjac

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 21:42 »
Munty...lovely to see you and Aggy lately  :D

you to podpees ;)
still alive /............

Gandan57

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 00:44 »
So much for my optimism, of the 25 seeds that chitted, 2 never emerged in the paper pots and another 3 grew to about an inch and the growing point shrivelled up. Almost as frustrating as trying to grow french beans.

:( :( :(
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 09:27 »
I know this may be like telling grannie how to suck eggs, but you did plant the corn chits down?  :unsure:
I've never had them fail once chitted, so it seems very strange to me ???

Gandan57

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 12:31 »
I`m pretty sure they were.

Could this be a reason why there is lower % germination with direct sown seed? i.e. if the chit or root emerges from the top of the seed?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2011, 14:02 »

Could this be a reason why there is lower % germination with direct sown seed? i.e. if the chit or root emerges from the top of the seed?
No, that doesn't matter, cos as it germinates the root will always turn downward.

If the root had started growing down, and they get turned up the other way when planted, the root has to turn around to grow down again :ohmy:

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2011, 21:36 »
I don't think it matters too much which way the root is pointing at the start. The actual shoot will always grow upwards to the light and the root will wind its way through the compost until it becomes potbound.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2011, 21:44 »
... and I lost three of mine in the not quite frost we had.   :(  Next year I'll definitely wait until at least halfway through May.

Gandan57

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2011, 21:58 »
Mine are still in paper pots, out by day, in at night. Some are six inches tall, others only two inches, and now the first leaf on some plants has gone yellow.

>:( :( >:( :( >:( :(

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2011, 08:55 »
My first batch are being transplanted today, they are about 8 inches tall and its either 'now or never' so i will have to take a chance ::)

They have been in the cold frame at night for the past 2 weeks and outside during the day (when i remember), and last night they were outside in a sheltered spot.

fingers crossed!

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2011, 10:07 »
Mine are looking great.  They have been out for weeks now. Just been checking weather and if it says below 10 at night I cover them with fleece.  Planted them with courgettes a la native americans and all looking good.  But potatoes also looking great and not bothered to cover them with anything so maybe just not had any frost here. 
Fingers crossed for everyone else!! ;)

Gandan57

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2011, 20:35 »
Just to rub salt in the wounds, my neighbouring plotholder showed me his sweetcorn plants today.

He has about 50, still in peat pots in his greenhouse. They are about five inches tall, look very healthy and very uniform. They are the variety Sundance, but from a cob he saved himself last year.

I`ve just checked and that`s an F1 variety. I shall monitor their progress with interest. ;)

bigben

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 09:02 »
I planted mine at the weekend. I started them in loo roll tubes then used a bulb planter to drop them into holes. Before I did this I threw some chicken poo pellets into the hole. Big mistake! I checked yesterday and Mr Fox has been digging for those "underground chickens" and some of my sweetcorn has gone. :ohmy:

xx
Sweetcorn

Started by SalB on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 10:03
by SalB
xx
HELP! SWEETCORN

Started by Briony on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 14:50
by mumofstig
xx
sweetcorn

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 21:55
by Sweetpea C
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by chris mutter on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 22, 2021, 23:34
by Stewarty

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 40 queries.