Sweetcorn

• 18 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Sweetcorn
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 16:01 »
Well .. you're only going to get one cob from Swift (might get a bit more ... perhaps ... :) ) and I don't suppose they are going to grow much fatter / thinner from being a foot apart, rather than 15", and you'll get 25% more plant into the patch ... I think I would go with more plants too :)

I wonder if the spacing instructions are "left over" from the old types of Maize-style Sweetcorn when the plants were an awful lot bigger?

Swift is pretty titchy by comparison (although still quite wide, but its lack of height means less shading for its neighbours?)

I plant 3 across my 4' beds, I think I'll try 4 this year and keep to about 15" spacing down the rows ... successional blocks of 12 instead of 9 then :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 16:32 »
Well .. you're only going to get one cob from Swift (might get a bit more ... perhaps ... :) ) and I don't suppose they are going to grow much fatter / thinner from being a foot apart, rather than 15", and you'll get 25% more plant into the patch

More than that, actually.

Going from corner to corner in a 5' block, you have a grid of 5 x 5 = 25 at 15" spacing.

At 12" spacing it's 6 x 6 = 36, 44% more.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 16:44 »
I'm trying Lark F1 this year as it promises "improved germination"and the planting distances are..........................9inches apart in rows 18in apart  :blink:

so I'll be cramming in planting a few more than I thought I would  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 16:52 »
I'm trying Lark F1 this year as it promises "improved germination"and the planting distances are..........................9inches apart in rows 18in apart  :blink:

so I'll be cramming in planting a few more than I thought I would  :D

.......so in a 1m2 bed thats, um, er, nearly time for an aspirin!  ::)

My planting area for sweetcorn varies from year to year but is basically as much room as I can pinch  - I am also absolute rubbish at either planting straight or at regular spacings (unless the plants have legs as well as roots!)

Don't think I'll ask whether you're chitting your Lark seeds Mum!    :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Sweetcorn Help!

Started by Smudge on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 17:09
by David.
xx
sweetcorn

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 12:13
by Kristen
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2021, 16:04
by cc
xx
Sweetcorn.

Started by cacran on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 01, 2008, 11:06
by cacran

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 37 queries.