Germinating parsnips

• 14 Replies

Yana

Germinating parsnips
« on: May 02, 2012, 21:30 »
I dont have a lot of luck with the germination rate of parsnips, so I thought I would try the Pre-germination method using damp paper towel.
Well......... I've been very patient but nothing so far. I've had the seeds on damp paper towel in a plastic tray for nearly three weeks and nothing seems to have happened. I did cover the seeds with a paper towel, so is this where I am going wrong??
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Germinating parsnips
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 21:31 »
Parsnips germinate in both light and dark conditions, so this is not the reason

Is it fresh seed?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 21:49 »
Sometimes it does take 21+ days anyway.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 06:53 »
Our direct sown fresh parsnip seeds are struggling this year too and seem to be taking far too long. Again it could be another victim of the cooler April temperatures, not sure. They're still getting chance though, as there was one of a large number poking out of the soil yesterday. :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 08:13 »
I sowed some ages ago in paper pots and they took forever. Started early March and eventually came up end of april. But they did come up!! Nearly all the ones at different stations at the allotment are also emerging. Going to end up with more than I anticipated as the paper pots were to fill any gaps but it seems I have enough for one or two more rows :lol:

I think they were just waiting for some heat and rainwater and once they got that they started germinating. I don't know if it's my imagination but everything seems to thrive much better on rainwater.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 08:14 »
my parsnips are just showing and I planted them about 28th March. Remember those warm sunny days befor it started raining!
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Yana

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 19:42 »
The seed was fresh / new this year as I know old seed is a poor germinator.
Patience will be rewarded

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 20:03 »
Not entirely relevant to the OP who is chitting parsnip seeds indoors, but for those who have sown outdoors a reminder of how much difference soil  temperature makes to parsnip seed germination (doesn't take the age of the seed, or the possibility that prolonged cold and waterlogging may lead to rotting and therefore zero germination into account, but don't get too downhearted or impatient - yet!)  :)

In a nutshell, there is a 30 day difference between the germination times of parsnip seed in ground temperatures of 41F and 50F, and even at 50F (10C) it's nearly 4 weeks - soil temperature according to my local weather station is 8C (46F)!  :wacko:

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 20:28 »
The paper must be kept damp all the time otherwise it won't work. I pre germinate and keep the damp paper and seed sealed in a plastic tub. Some how it seems to do better than when it is in an open tub. The last lot I pregerminated took 16 days to start germinating
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

solway cropper

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 22:41 »
I got fed up of having to struggle with parsnips on the plot so all mine are container grown now. I start them off in the greenhouse and germination usually takes about three/four weeks. At least I can guarantee a good crop now.

savbo

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 12:25 »
of 44 Javelin sowed in 6" richy pots on 13th April, just over half are now up - at seed leaf stage. I've moved them to cold frame but with this cold snap coming may bring them back in unheated ghouse. Starting planting over the weekend into deep-dibbed holes

this technique worked a treat for me last year, full rows of parsnips with lots getting to a big size and only a few Cyril Fletchers :)

sav

Auntiemogs

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 12:29 »
Didn't realise they took so long....better get making pots... :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 19:21 »
mine where sown direct about a month ago and noticed today at the plot they seem through

Scotch Thistle

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 23:00 »
I sowed a packet of new parsnip seeds 38 days ago and nothing is showing yet. I am really tempted to re-sow, maybe in modules, although I have sown them in modules before, should I just hold tight, I don't want to run the risk of not getting any snips. I have sown a catch crop of beet root in between the rows of parsnips, 3 weeks after the parsnips went in, and they are starting to show now  :(

Mrs Bee

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 23:08 »
I dont have a lot of luck with the germination rate of parsnips, so I thought I would try the Pre-germination method using damp paper towel.
Well......... I've been very patient but nothing so far. I've had the seeds on damp paper towel in a plastic tray for nearly three weeks and nothing seems to have happened. I did cover the seeds with a paper towel, so is this where I am going wrong??

I am doing parsnips for the first timethis year and I started the seeds off this way.
Damp paper towels at the bottom and the top and then I covered the tray in cling film and put it on a windowsill.

it worked really well and the transplanted seeds went into loo rolls and  are in the ground with leaves about 3 inches high so far.
I also planted some direct into the soil at the same time as I transplanted the loo rolls and one or two are showing.

xx
germinating parsnips?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 10:42
by andreadon
xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Germinating

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2006, 11:21
by muntjac
xx
germinating peppers

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2009, 22:08
by Ice

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 37 queries.