Germinating Squashes Help

• 21 Replies

MoreWhisky

Germinating Squashes Help
« on: May 07, 2010, 00:13 »
I seem to be having trouble germinating my Hooligan,Crown prince and Festival squashes.

I cant understand why  :unsure: everything else has germinated lovely. Have tried different composts to, and so far have 1 hooligan  :ohmy:

Any other  Squash lover  out there who can give me a tip or two please  :)

Cheers MW.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

ziggy66

Re: Germinating Squashes Help
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 06:17 »
Can I add a me too.....

I have had only a 25% record with my hawk squashes. Courgettes seem to have worked a treat but my squashes have been a struggle.

Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 06:42 »
I've had good germination,except for an acorn squash >:( but they have been so slow this year.
But for me, as it was just one variety out of 11 :ohmy: I'm blaming poor seed quality for that failure

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 08:30 »
Are you keeping them nice and warm , i put a seed tray in a plastic bag on top of a kitchen wall unit and they were up 50mm in 6 days. :)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 08:40 »
I have had the same problem with butternuts. All the other squashes came up no problem, but none of the four butternuts appeared. I put the rest of the packet to chit, which they did eventually, but still only one of the chitted seeds I sowed has appeared. Very odd... there were no problems last year.
Rachael

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 09:09 »
I planted my Butternuts, (last yers Dig In seeds) on Saturday in 3 inch pots inside an unheated propogator which I put on a shelf in my office.  This morning nearly every single one has just started showing.

What I have learnt this year if it's of any help is.

Not too hot at any time
Not too cold at any time
Not too wet.

Now I germinate all seeds indoors on top of a cupnoard in my office, and do not soak the compost as I did last year as they were all rottig before germinating.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 09:09 »
they might like a bit of bottom heat (prop without a lid)

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 09:46 »
Every squash seed i have sown this year has grown. A packet of patti-pan from a seed swap that was 2 yrs past use by date all grew , b-nuts planted 2 seeds per pot all grew and were thinned and composted.

I wish i could get the same germination rates with spring onions. :)

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 11:53 »
none of my squashes germinated ( plastic bagged and in a greenhouse)which i put down to old seed, went and bought some fresh and still nothing :(

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 12:02 »
I have noticed on several occasions that squash grown alongside cougettes and pumpkins need more heat to get them started.

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 12:55 »
My unknown butternut squash seeds were planted in compost, put in a propagator on my windowsill in my kitchen (kept warm by an Aga). I was shocked to see that this is what they looked like after a week!  Just have to hope that they fruit now :lol:
squashes.gif

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 13:03 »
none of my squashes germinated ( plastic bagged and in a greenhouse)which i put down to old seed, went and bought some fresh and still nothing :(

It's still too cold out in the greenhouse for them to germinate :( Start some more inside on a warm windowledge  :)

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 13:36 »
Don't give up on them mines have taken weeks and are only just showing now. I hadn't given them any heat so last week I popped them in a poly bag blew it up and tied it off and now they are through. Thank goodness as I don't have any more seeds left. I only got 10 in the packet.

diggerjoe

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 13:49 »
Gave most of mine a short holiday in the kitchen to kick start them and then they've been in a cold green house and growing on well. I missed a couple and thoses two have been in cold greenhouse since sowing and look to be really sturdy plants. Now if i could just get my brassicas to last beyond first leaf I would be very happy :D

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 15:31 »
I germinate them in a propagator in the airing cupboard. The key is to make sure the compost is not too wet or they rot and to take them out as soon as they break through otherwise they get leggy. Put them on the windowsill or cold greenhouse after that. I grow dozens of varieties (old and new seed) and only the overly wet ones have failed.

xx
Germinating

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2006, 11:21
by muntjac
xx
Germinating parsnips

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 23:08
by Mrs Bee
xx
Leeks germinating

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 23:08
by mjpalin
xx
Germinating in propagator

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 16:12
by mashauk

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 40 queries.