germinating sweetcorn

• 8 Replies

3759allen

germinating sweetcorn
« on: April 05, 2016, 20:54 »
looking for a little advice about germinating sweetcorn and how you all do it.

the first time i grew them, about 2 years ago, i chitted them in damp kitchen roll. i had very good germination, prob 95%.

i tried the same last year and the results were pretty poor, prob 50 / 50. this year seems to have been even worse, and the young seedlings don't really look that healthy. every year i've used fresh seed, so guess it's something i've done.

i haven't got a propagator, just use a warm cupboard or table near a radiator. this worked fin the first year and for everything else so i can't see this being a problem.

i was considering sowing seed into modules, rather than chitting them, and leave them in the poly tunnel to germinate.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: germinating sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 21:46 »
I usually sow mine in toilet roll tubes of compost in the heated greenhouse, but not until the middle of this month or they get a bit big before planting out on the plot.

I have tried only sowing those that germinated on damp paper indoors, but tbh I had juts as good results without the extra faff. germination is usually about 80% only though, so I put in a few more than I need to make up
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 22:58 »
I use toilet rolls or Rootrainers.

I did try chitting on damp kitchen roll once but most of the seeds rotted before germinating, could be it was bad seed but I've never had a problem sowing in the loo rolls etc.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 23:22 »
I always chit mine, 'cause in the past I've had too many no shows in pots. After they've chitted I move them into  deep paper pots that I make for them.

They tend to rot if you keep them too damp, while chitting.

Plotmaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 06:55 »
last year I had so slow a germination that I re sowed and blow me down if the first batch showed after the second was well on the way so I ended up with two beds of sweetcorn. Now the kids want two beds worth this year as well as they love it.

Robster

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 08:21 »
I don't chit mine.  I sow them into root trainers and then into the incubator.  They come up really quickly.  Must be about complete germination.  Then I remove them to a sunny position indoors then into the greenhouse before they go to the lotty. When I first grew them I was anxious to get them out as soon as possible.  These days I'm not in such a rush.  They seem to suffer not only from cold but windy blustery rainy conditions when they are small makes them not get away so well.  I'll consider sowing last weekend in April.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 08:55 »
I chit on damp tissue too - but when it is warmer (I usually sow mine about mid-late April)

Headgardener22

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 11:59 »
I chit mine (but not until mid April) on damp kitchen paper then pot them up into 7cm pots, transferring them to the allotment after the frosts have stopped.

I find its more efficient than putting two to a pot (which is what I used to do) as I only pot up those which have germinated.

3759allen

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 17:34 »
why do so many of you use paper pots?

i assumed the roots didn't mind a bit of disturbance. the first year i done them they were out growing their big pots (due to a 2 week holiday coming at the wrong time) before i could plant them out, i had a really good crop with these plants that year.

xx
Germinating

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2006, 11:21
by muntjac
xx
Germinating in propagator

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 16:12
by mashauk
xx
Germinating parsnips

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 23:08
by Mrs Bee
xx
Germinating Cucumbers

Started by Helen G on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 17:57
by mashbintater

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 37 queries.