Sulphur burners/candles??

• 5 Replies

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
Sulphur burners/candles??
« on: November 19, 2011, 18:45 »
    I've got a large polytunnel with raised beds and blueberries, goji berriy plants inside but have started getting powdery mildew quite bad.  I automatically thought of getting a sulphur burner inside to kill it off and had read somewhere on the net that it was ok to use a sulphur burner in greenhouses/polytunnels with plants still inside but on the sulphur burners in b & q they say on the instructions that the greenhouse needs to be empty (no plants).  Does anybody know if there's different kinds of sulphur burners out there, some plant friendly, some not??  I didn't think so myself but could be wrong.  Has anybody used these with their plants inside and what results have they had??

Cheers.   

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Sulphur burners/candles??
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 21:38 »
Years ago I had a sulphur burner ( hated the smell  :tongue2: ) and the instructions were to burn it every day for about 15 mins to get rid of mildew in the green house, during the winter and the plants stayed in.

Maybe the b&q thing is different.........  :unsure:

I am surprised you have your goji berries inside though, as I thought they were  very hardy indeed.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 10:34 »
   Yes, cheers.  I reckon sulphur burners must be different to sulphur candles.  I know goji's are pretty hardy but didn't realise that when I got them so just stuck them in tunnel.  I think they should still do ok in there though. They've grew loads in 1 year.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 14:55 »
I have one goji bush and have just chopped it to the ground, as it was 2m across in 2 years.

Need to move it somewhere I cancontrol it better  :blink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 15:49 »
I think sulphur candles and sulphur burners (more accurately called evaporators) are used for two quite different purposes.

Sulphur candles burn sulphur to form highly acidic and toxic sulphur oxides and are used to sterilise empty greenhouses - neither you nor any plants should be inside at the time!

Sulphur evaporators seem popular in the US and work by slowly evaporating solid sulphur to deposit a thin layer of it on plant leaves - it's supposed to help control powdery mildew, botrytis and other fungal diseases, but has to be used with caution because too much can also kill the "patient" and ruin the taste of produce.  :(

I would also be very wary about using either form in a polytunnel as it could degrade the plastics in the cover.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 15:56 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 17:49 »
   Yes I definatley think they're 2 different things now.  Seen a few of the "burners" and the ones I've seen seem to be electric and I have no electric on my plot.  I'm thinking I may just have to try to find some type of sulphur based fungicide to spray on plants if can find any.

xx
Weed Burners

Started by davejg on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post August 28, 2010, 22:37
by flitwickone
xx
Weed burners

Started by blackberryjam on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post November 21, 2018, 17:19
by JayG

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 39 queries.