glass

• 19 Replies

andyk

• Experienced Member
glass
« on: September 25, 2007, 21:36 »
in the shed of my new plot are two large double glazed units patio dorrs i think by thr size of them. is it possable to split the unit into single sheets so i can cut them to use for cold frames, just to big to use as is
ps
if this is possable there could be some free glass going in the st annes area

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
glass
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 21:41 »
I have done it once by sliding a wallpaper scraper between a pane and the divider, you may have to peel the tape off first and use a block of wood to knock the scraper along.

Bit scary tho'  :shock:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
glass
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 21:42 »
Spiltting may not be the greatest problem, although I suspect they are sealed with something quite strong.

Cutting may be you're biggest problem, as , if they are patio doors, it could well be toughened glass for safety purpose.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

glass
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 05:03 »
The panes are vacuum sealed, but the seals do split or develop holes. It's not hard separating the panes, but like DD says, they're a beast to cut smaller because the glass is thicker than normal. I've never found it worth while, nor safe, to bother. Always take my old doors and extra large windows to the dump and look for regular single pane windows or glass while there. If you want to try cutting that glass, be very well protected because it breaks in large, very ragged pieces otherwise.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
glass
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 15:20 »
I hate glass cloches etc.  My lottie is covered with broken glass from a previous owner  :evil:

Calou

• Experienced Member
glass
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 17:42 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
I hate glass cloches etc.  My lottie is covered with broken glass from a previous owner  :evil:

I had (and still do have) exactly the same problem Aunt Sally! It's been a nightmare to clear it all and I'm still finding lumps all over the plot. I'm gonna stick with plastic and perspex.
Calou
Reasonably organic but totally realistic

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
glass
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 16:30 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
The panes are vacuum sealed,

Hi Trillium are yours vacuum sealed then ? I know ours are not, I used to work for the ones that "fit the best, fit ........." and asked this question my self once.

leeky

glass
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 20:26 »
I got hold of some double glazing to mess around with, anyway cut a long story short I merely laid it down slowly and gently end up onto the drive and it shattered in a great whoooosh!  :lol:  Millions of bits on the floor with the frame left standing. I presumed it was toughend glass which i just happend to catch right (or wrong) and it blew.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
glass
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 23:19 »
My OH takes the old secondary glazing that the fitters bring back in to the window and conservatory manufacturer I clean for.  There's always lots of it.  Do you have any around your way?

He always moans about the double glazing being a pain (ha ha, pain get it???) to re-use and being toughened doesn't help.

Trillium

glass
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 03:15 »
Quote from: "richyrich7  Trillium are yours vacuum sealed then ? [/quote

Yes, all of them, otherwise, what's the point of 2 panes of glass without an air seal between to block out the transfer of hot or cold air? The latest technology now seals the 2 panes with Low E (argon) gas, which is even more efficient at maintaining inside temperatures.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
glass
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 09:39 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Quote from: "richyrich7  Trillium are yours vacuum sealed then ? [/quote

Yes, all of them, otherwise, what's the point of 2 panes of glass without an air seal between to block out the transfer of hot or cold air? The latest technology now seals the 2 panes with Low E (argon) gas, which is even more efficient at maintaining inside temperatures.

Thats interesting ours rely on Pilkington K technology which I presume does much the same as your argon gas.  8)

Trillium

glass
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 14:43 »
Probably does. The Argon gas is highly rated as a very low emittor source of pollution (Low E). Somehow lack of air doesn't work the same as the gas does.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
glass
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 14:53 »
lack of air makes large panes concave inwards towards eachother so the gap is smaller.

Trillium

glass
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 14:57 »
Well, that goes to show that some know how to fix toasters, and some know about window glass  :lol:  :lol:

shaun

glass
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 14:59 »
the reason the the unit is sealed and filled with gas is to stop it steaming up (condensation).once the unit has failed it steams up between the panes of glass.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

xx
£1 for used greenhouse glass

Started by like diggingk on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 22:14
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Glass factory

Started by Esme on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 21:18
by richyrich7
xx
Green house glass replacement

Started by Fluff on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:41
by FRUITFULL
xx
Long shot (glass for greenhouse)

Started by Rangerkris on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 05:52
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 35 queries.