yarrow in the flower/apple tree bed

• 6 Replies

rowe1311

yarrow in the flower/apple tree bed
« on: May 18, 2014, 20:24 »
I planted some wild yarrow a couple of years ago into the flower bed where we also have an apple tree.  I know they are good companion plants and apparently help plants around them to grow better.  I also think yarrow is very attractive and great for wildlife.  It has taken off really well and come a little bit invasive, as you would imagine it would. 

I don't know what to do now.  Should I leave it in the bed?  I think it looks nice but it does create quite a root structure, and I am not sure whether this is impeding the growth of neighbouring plants, as it is the leaf that is supposed to help the growth. 

I have dug up a bit of it to plant an echinacea and pulled up a lot of root.  I know that yarrow also works great in the compost, but again is that just the leaf?  Should I throw the roots away with the other weeds? 

Any experts on yarrow out there, or am I the only crazy one who thinks they are good plants to have.

Goosegirl

Re: yarrow in the flower/apple tree bed
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 13:18 »
I'm not sure what to advise here. If it can be contained and used as this site says, then it could be ok, but you don't want it taking over other areas. See what you think re- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achillea_millefolium#Uses.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sion01

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 22:11 »
Id treat it just like any other perennial that is a bit of a thug,the fact that it is a wild flower isn't much of an issue.If it is too invasive try potting it up in a big pot and burying it so that the roots dont get the chance to spread.You could plant something that will give as good as it gets near to it,something like lady's mantle or a geranium and let them fight it out.They are beautiful plants with really fine and detailed flowers and the feathery foliage looks great too.I've got a patch of red campion(by design,not laziness  :D) and the vivid pink flowers are amazing and is quite well behaved if i dead head.Its easy to overlook the beauty of native plants because we are used to seeing them but in the right setting they are great.Stic with it

rowe1311

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 20:34 »
Thanks for the advice.  I have meant to reply sooner, but haven't had the chance to write.  I have removed quite a bit of it, but it is in amongst other plants so don't want to pull them out.  My concern with yarrow is how the roots form.  It is like ground elder sending out suckers underground. A pot would have been a good idea and will remember for next time, but I will take it out little by little when I want to put something different in. 

I am also unsure about composting the roots.  I started just chopping off the foliage as I know that is great for the compost, but then found that too fiddly so ended up bunging a load of roots in too.  Is that a bad idea? 

Angela

richard88

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 02:19 »
I haven't grown it in a while now, but I did for several years. I grew the pink, and it did spread but I didn't find it invasive. I loved the lacey leaves, I'd like to get it again. :o)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 11:00 »
It depends how long you compost for. A couple of years will see them dead without any trouble.

If you dig up more, try immersing them in a bucket of water for a few weeks until they are slimy and then add them, plus the water, to your bin.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rowe1311

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 17:39 »
That is a good idea to stick them in a bucket of water and that way I can use the liquid as a feed as well

xx
Apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post October 22, 2022, 04:34
by mdjlucan
xx
apple tree

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post December 23, 2015, 18:46
by chrissie B
moved
MOVED: Plum and apple tree

Started by JayG on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post February 16, 2022, 10:20
by JayG
xx
Ground cover under apple tree

Started by Wombat18 on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 16:48
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 37 queries.