Ants, ants and more ants

• 4 Replies

holder100

Ants, ants and more ants
« on: August 06, 2008, 15:40 »
Hi All,

I have just taken over an allotment with my 2 little boys and it looks to have been untouched for many months.

Today we decided to work a small patch to get ready for some veg planting. However, as we turned the patch over it seems overrun with ants..Is this good or bad ??? My first reaction is this is to be expected for the amount of time the patch has been left.

If it is bad, what can I do about it ?

Secondly. Any ideas on some veg that do not take too much work to get get us started ? My boy's just want sunflowers !!!

Thanks for your help, Alan

Elcie

Ants, ants and more ants
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 16:22 »
I'm not sure about the ants but as regards planting I would definitely suggest you get a packet of lettuce/salad seeds.  They grow very quickly and are ideal at this time of year.  Perhaps some turnips too.

dugless

Ants, ants and more ants
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 16:28 »
The ants will go away as you work the land.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

FCG

Ants, ants and more ants
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 17:39 »
Ants hate to be disturbed and will probably sod off once you've worked over the soil a couple of times. Generally the birds will love you!

On planting - yes you can get stuff in. But mainly letuce/salad crops and hardy over winters like Kale, turnips, swede and kohl-rabi.

Trillium

Ants, ants and more ants
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 01:00 »
When I find ants in my patch I turn over that section and they really do move on. Perhaps not far, so I then dig up that section and they all grab eggs and move on. Once they're clear of my garden area I leave them be. If they become persistent about staying put, use a patent ant killer which is taken by workers to be fed to the queen. Once she dies, the colony falls apart. Or sprinkle boric acid powder into the hole. Not really harmful to humans but ants hate it.

xx
ANTS!!

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 21:12
by rawrecruit
xx
ants

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 16:14
by Trillium
xx
Ants

Started by veg-grower on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2006, 22:27
by Beanzie
xx
ants

Started by Cara on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 10:21
by Howard

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 33 queries.