Drunk looking chook!

• 12 Replies

Emmie-Lou

Drunk looking chook!
« on: April 20, 2012, 14:36 »
Hi, my pekin hen developed a limp about three or four weeks ago, with no visible sign of injury, this has developed into a lack of coordination, trouble walking, so she spends most of her time sat in the nesting box (she's not broody). She has also developed a rigid twisted neck, so her head is slightly to the right and there is a huge lump to the left which is her neck, and is almost as high as her head. Pleeaase help coz i don't know what to do for her. I've taken chooks to the vets before but they really don't seem to know much about them :(

helens-hens

Re: Drunk looking chook!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 16:26 »
I am not an expert so hoping somebody else will also see this and be able to advise.

It does sound to me as the lump may be possibly be a tumour which could be perhaps putting pressure on the nerves and possibly causing the limping, lack of co-ordination etc (very difficult to say without seeing it).

Have you noticed this lump developing over the last week or so? Also is she managing to eat and drink?

Are there any other vets in your area that you could take her to - what area are you in?
Helen

Emmie-Lou

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 20:23 »
The lump actually is her neck, it's twisted, so instead of going straight down it curves to her left, then up and back down, it's really bizarre! The limp was the first thing to develop, and other than that she was fine then. I checked for signs of injury or fracture but everything seemed ok, so i thought perhaps she had just sprained it or something, but then the neck thing happened a couple of days ago, and now she's all wobbly on her feet like she's drunk, and spends most of her time tucked away resting in the box. i carry her to bed at night, then carry her out in the morning. she is eating and i hold her at the drink bottle to make sure she gets water. I've spoken to my lovely breeder friend who is always really helpful, but she has no idea what it might be. I googled and found something with the same symptoms but that also listed blisters on the chest which she doesn' have. I just keep expecting to find her dead :'(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 20:33 »
She could have wry neck - she may need a vitamin supplement. Try to get a bird one that contains the vitamin B group. A trip to the vets really is in order  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

YoungChickenLover

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 20:34 »
Is she vaccinated against Mareks? It caused paralysis, and is unfortunately, fatal. If you still have the contact details of her breeder, you could try and giv them a call to ask if he was vaccinated as a chick.
For the vets, Practical Poultry magazine has a listing of vets who treat chickens. If there is one nearby, take her as soon as possible to identify the problem.
Hope this helps.
Weasel and The Chooks

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 20:39 »
we have a list of vets here.

Mareks vaccination has to be given within an hour of the phial being opened, also it doesn't guarantee they will not get it as one of our members discovered when his vaccinated hens got it. Check her eyes and let us know if both eyes are normal.

Emmie-Lou

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 20:19 »
I have checked out wry neck and it's not that, i have also looked up Marek's and pretty sure it's not that either. I viewed the vets list you posted but there are no vets anywhere near me, but i have found one in guildford that i'm going to ring tomorrow. She is currently tucked up in a box in my bedroom with food and drink, which she is taking in, and also poo's look normal. I'm really worried that tomorrow she will be put to sleep, but if that is the best thing for her and puts her out of her misery :'(  I just haven't had much luck with vets in the past, but we will see. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post xx

helens-hens

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:23 »
We will keep our fingers crossed for you today - let us know how you get on.

Emmie-Lou

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 19:08 »
I found a vet and took my hen today. Sadly the vet suspected Marek's (as was mentioned in an earlier post) and my poor baby had to be put to sleep :'( I'm not a stoical stiff upper lip british type, and cried like a baby! I stayed with her until the very end.  Now the body is being sent for autopsy to verify the cause of death, and the vet said she has to inform DEFRA, and if the results show Marek's then i might have to cull the rest of my flock.... BAD times :'(   Thank you so much for your support and thoughts xx

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 19:51 »
So sorry.

Emmie-Lou

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 20:12 »
I've just checked the defra website of notifiable diseases and Marek's ISN'T on there! So please keep your fingers crossed that the rest of my babies will be ok xx

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 20:26 »
Fingers crossed here. :)

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 20:35 »
no it isn't notifiable but you will have to keep a check on your other birds as it is highly contagious. Plus a bird that recovers from it can also infect others.

xx
Drunk looking chuck

Started by petejulie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 05, 2010, 10:51
by joyfull
xx
Drunk Chicken!!!

Started by KelnCraig on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 18:31
by mad chicken
exclamation
Dizzy/drunk acting hen?

Started by didsomeonesayellie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 08:14
by Sassy
xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 40 queries.