Fresh horse manure

• 4 Replies

grumpaflump

Fresh horse manure
« on: July 30, 2016, 09:55 »
I have just acquired some fresh house dung... I was thinking of digging it into a few beds which will not be sown until early next year....would this be a good idea or would I be safe composting it until next year.

Many thanks in advance :)

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
Re: Fresh horse manure
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 10:21 »
Not sure i see the advantage of digging it in. Why do all that hard work when simply laying it on top of your beds would suffice? The worms and microbial activity will be beneficial, and it will act as a mulch over winter while it composts down into a great friable mixture ready for spring planting.
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 10:47 »
It depends on what state the soil in the beds is in.  If it already dug and turns over nicely, you could use the manure as mulch and turn it in next spring.

If the soil is compacted or very heavy, you could dig the manure in roughly and go over it again in the spring.  Heavy clay can really benefit from having rough fibrous materials dug in.

As long as you are not planting for a few months, fresh manure will be fine either way this time of year.  The soil is warm and the worms are active  :)

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 10:56 »
I'd layer it on top to keep the weeds down and let the worms and weather break it down before digging it in later in the year.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 20:54 »
I would be very carfull, fresh manure is full of weed seeds. Most seeds are designed to pass through a horses digestive system and are quite viable. compost it and keep turning the heap so that seeds germinate then are dug back in before they become established . or spread it on top and hope the seeds are either eaten by the birds or germinate and die in the dry weather or are hoed off  :D
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

xx
Fresh'ish horse manure

Started by ThatsNice on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post February 05, 2013, 16:58
by conteasy
xx
Fresh horse manure

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 20, 2014, 21:46
by salmonking
xx
Fresh horse manure

Started by richy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 23:17
by snowdrops
xx
Can I dig in fresh horse manure?

Started by lizziesdad on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 16, 2019, 16:04
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 39 queries.