Celery

• 22 Replies

zazen999

Re: Celery
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 23:13 »
Easy way to grow celery?

In big pots, in half manure half compost; and keep the pots in a gravel tray full of water. Pop a drop of seaweed extract [maxicrop] in every few weeks. Then harvest as it grows, like cut and come again. Simples. If you have 2 or 3 pots, you can scalp one at a time and leave it to grow back whilst you scalp the others.

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 10:35 »
good point with the summers we get celery should thrive in the typical english summmer  :lol:

thearaig

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 19:32 »
I've grown celery for the last three years and It's been ok despite the fact that we have no heat. I put the seed in modules in trays and the trays in a translucent storage box. Near the fire in the evening and into sunlight when available.  They seem to be fairly hardy once theyve germinated.

Self blanching tend to be for summer use up to first frost.
Trench varieties can be used right through the winter.

thearaig

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 20:07 »
Sorry. Forgot to say that they need light to germinate. Water the compost. Sow seed on topand water that with a mist spray.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 23:52 »
I did some self blanching celery last year, for the first time. It seemed to do pretty well, looked healthy and strong, but I was a little disappointed with the stems when I harvested it. I left it in as long as I could but even then the stems were extremely skinny, not really good for anything else but putting in stews and casseroles. I don't know if it's the self blanching varieties that don't grow thick, strong stems or just the particular circumstances of my crop, but it didn't look anything like the big crunchy stems you buy in the shops, no good for salads really.

zazen999

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 08:22 »
I did some self blanching celery last year, for the first time. It seemed to do pretty well, looked healthy and strong, but I was a little disappointed with the stems when I harvested it. I left it in as long as I could but even then the stems were extremely skinny, not really good for anything else but putting in stews and casseroles. I don't know if it's the self blanching varieties that don't grow thick, strong stems or just the particular circumstances of my crop, but it didn't look anything like the big crunchy stems you buy in the shops, no good for salads really.

That's because it is grown in water for the shops; try the method above - grown in pots with access to water from start to finish. It goes stringy without plenty of water and will grow bigger if it has ample fertiliser and space.

Salmo

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 10:16 »
When do you sow the seeds?

zazen999

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 10:51 »
As soon as it is warm enough - now if you have somewhere really warm but April for me.

xx
Normal cutting celery v Parcel celery

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 10:26
by Snow
xx
celery

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 23:20
by viettaclark
xx
Celery

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 23:32
by Kajazy
xx
Celery

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 16:30
by gobs

Page created in 0.394 seconds with 38 queries.