safe wood for raised beds

• 3 Replies

Grubbypaws

safe wood for raised beds
« on: April 23, 2024, 15:55 »
I need to replace a 2.4m plank in one of my Harrod Horticulture raised beds as it has rotted through. I have just gone to their site and it will cost me £68 for a single plank! This seems a lot but there is also information about the non-toxic preservative used to treat the wood so that it is plant and human safe and does not contain chromated copper arsenate.

I dont want to pay over the top for a plank of wood but I also want to garden safely. As lots of you will have made raised beds, can you give me any adivice please.

wighty

Re: safe wood for raised beds
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 17:27 »
We went to a local reclaimation yard and got a couple of old scaffold boards to do ours.  Still going after about ten years.  (As an aside, did you know that in 'olden days' telegraph poles were soaked in cyanide for up to four weeks to preserve them! :ohmy:)

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 20:08 »
we've been using this on not just our beds but our shed aswell, 3 years in and all well, used on some white pine floor boards that I used for a herb garden and no issues.
https://www.gardening-naturally.com/eco-wood-treatment
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 09:10 »
I need to replace a 2.4m plank in one of my Harrod Horticulture raised beds as it has rotted through. I have just gone to their site and it will cost me £68 for a single plank! This seems a lot but there is also information about the non-toxic preservative used to treat the wood so that it is plant and human safe and does not contain chromated copper arsenate.

I dont want to pay over the top for a plank of wood but I also want to garden safely. As lots of you will have made raised beds, can you give me any adivice please.
Tanalised wood no longer uses CCA as a preservative.  It was banned some time ago. The RHS recommends it for raised beds.  So I think the information you quote is out of date.
We used untreated wood - old scaffolding planks like Wighty, when we built our beds in 2010.  They are now rotting away, so lasted nearly 14 years. 
We are replacing with the same and in some cases building beds with old paving slabs pushed into the ground on end.  No rotting there.
I don't think you need to spend that much money on a plank of wood.  I certainly wouldn't.

xx
is Terram weed control safe for raised veg and fruit beds?

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2014, 05:02
by m1ckz
xx
Is this wood suitable for building raised beds ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 17:55
by woodburner
xx
Oregano safe in flower beds?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 14:34
by Bluedave
xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 39 queries.