The price of replacement glass...

• 13 Replies

Rob the rake

The price of replacement glass...
« on: April 29, 2022, 01:46 »
...has become utterly shocking! The DIY trade in general seems to have hiked its materials prices to usurious levels, strangely coinciding with the increase in demand due to a locked-down population. Funny, that. Not!

All is not lost, however, since just as many people are offering free-to-dismantler greenhouses as before. Given that the average pane of replacement 2' x 2' (600mm) greenhouse glass is around a tenner, the average 6' by 8' house contains over 300 quids worth of free glazing, making it well worth the effort of removal. Any unwanted parts of the frame are happily snapped up by your friendly neighbourhood rag and bone person, too.

In the last month I've taken down three of these, with one being rebuilt in our back garden at home and the spare glass and any useful aluminium parts, spares and fixings being stashed for future use. In fact, it's hard to understand, barring infirmity, why people actually pay for this stuff!
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

AndyRVTR

Re: The price of replacement glass...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 06:48 »
£4 a pane on Facebook marketplace!

wighty

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 06:51 »
This is about the third reply that I have composed and is probably the most polite.  As a part owner of a DIY shop I resent the fact that you think it is down to us that   prices have risen due to our 'greed'.  Let me assure you that this is not the case.  On a daily basis we get letters or E-mails from suppliers advising us that prices are having to rise due to transport costs, availability of ingredients to manufacture the product etc., etc.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 10:08 »
Good morning Rob the Rake,  why not do as I have done and join two 8x6 greenhouses together (if you have space available).  I also moved the door from the end to the side and installed raised beds.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

lettice

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 10:34 »
Our local 'retiree' repair centre round here do ask for any spare greenhouse glass.
They will even remove and dismantle one for a small charge.
Also, many tradesman and house clearers who dismantle such items kindly pass it on to them.
They have been doing that for a few years.
Anyone in our town can go to their glass shed and pick up some.
They have an 8x6 shed full of it, all carefully sorted and cleaned.
All they ask is to show a photo of your current greenhouse with the missing panels (so your not selling them on) and to pop a few pounds per panel in a charity box.
They will also cut a panel for you, if you have some of those tricker shapes and they do not have it.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 11:16 »
Just as an off topic aside… the majority of allotment authorities have banned glass as it is so dangerous on the plot when broken.  We only allow non-glass greenhouses on our site. 

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 19:14 »
I haven't bought any glass for our greenhouses for ages because  a friend of our gave us quite a lot of glass when he finished with  his greenhouse so we have plenty for replacements I think I replaced 1 pane of glass last year and I do tend to cut my own glass if its needed

Rob the rake

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 21:40 »
I haven't bought any glass for our greenhouses for ages because  a friend of our gave us quite a lot of glass when he finished with  his greenhouse so we have plenty for replacements I think I replaced 1 pane of glass last year and I do tend to cut my own glass if its needed

Several friends and acquaintances had serious damage in the recent gales, with one losing all but a few panes in a single night. I got away with just a few cracked panes, but seeing the plight of others thought it best to be prepared for any future weather-related happenstance.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 22:26 by Rob the rake »

Rob the rake

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 22:24 »
This is about the third reply that I have composed and is probably the most polite.  As a part owner of a DIY shop I resent the fact that you think it is down to us that   prices have risen due to our 'greed'.  Let me assure you that this is not the case.  On a daily basis we get letters or E-mails from suppliers advising us that prices are having to rise due to transport costs, availability of ingredients to manufacture the product etc., etc.

I can see why my post could have caused this reaction, yet I'm not saying anything that I haven't heard from a hundred other mouths. Nevertheless, I'm not an habitual troublemaker and so I apologise for any offence caused.

Rob the rake

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 22:33 »
Our local 'retiree' repair centre round here do ask for any spare greenhouse glass.
They will even remove and dismantle one for a small charge.
Also, many tradesman and house clearers who dismantle such items kindly pass it on to them.
They have been doing that for a few years.
Anyone in our town can go to their glass shed and pick up some.
They have an 8x6 shed full of it, all carefully sorted and cleaned.
All they ask is to show a photo of your current greenhouse with the missing panels (so your not selling them on) and to pop a few pounds per panel in a charity box.
They will also cut a panel for you, if you have some of those tricker shapes and they do not have it.

I love these community-spirited ventures. A little bit of sanity on an insane planet. Beautiful. (Insert heart emoji here!)

Rob the rake

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 22:38 »
Good morning Rob the Rake,  why not do as I have done and join two 8x6 greenhouses together (if you have space available).  I also moved the door from the end to the side and installed raised beds.

Could you supply a pic of the side door? I'm finding it hard to visualise just how you've done it.

Rob the rake

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 22:50 »

The prevailing westerly wind in this locality can be a shocker; the land in that direction is basically flat for many miles, so it gets up a fair head of steam. Serious and regular damage is far from unusual. In fact, I lost a 4 metre polycarbonate-glazed house to the wind when the sun-opaqued and embrittled panels failed after less than 10 years use. I'd have replaced them, but there seemed to be no easy way do do this short of dismantling the whole thing.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2022, 07:30 »
thumbs up to the people in Lettices area they need supporting.
from bow like to grow

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2022, 10:15 »

I can see why my post could have caused this reaction, yet I'm not saying anything that I haven't heard from a hundred other mouths. Nevertheless, I'm not an habitual troublemaker and so I apologise for any offence caused.

Just because lots of people are saying it, doesn't make them any more informed or make the comment any the more true.  Small shopkeepers have been through a torrid time over the last 2 years, without the backup of corporate shareholders or bulk resources, using up reserves and going into debt. The global supply issues, increases in the price of raw materials, and shortage of labour are well-evidenced.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
glass replacement

Started by Hadakare on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

0 Replies
Last post May 04, 2015, 23:38
by Hadakare
xx
Polytunnel Replacement Cover - what to use?

Started by KCOOPER on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post December 01, 2014, 16:31
by Steve_LF
xx
Cool glass.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post May 18, 2013, 14:02
by wil4025
xx
Greenhouse glass? Or not?

Started by fallen angel on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

11 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 18:49
by Snoop

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 52 queries.