Old red currants

• 5 Replies

Ema

Old red currants
« on: December 07, 2014, 11:29 »
I was given a load of red currant plans which were 15 year old or so and had been 1 big bush. There now a 10m long hedge on my plot, they've been there 2 years now. I trimmed them back harsh when they went in the ground and did the usual pruning last year.

I've got a few plants which have grown new shoots from the ground. With the age of these bushes shall I cut off the old main leg and grow a new bush from this years shoot or not bother. I've had a good harvest this year and the hedge is starting to fill ou nicely. I know currants are easy to grow from cuttings but don't really have the room to nurture them or bother to weed around them for a year.

BabbyAnn

Re: Old red currants
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:45 »
I've got a few plants which have grown new shoots from the ground. With the age of these bushes shall I cut off the old main leg and grow a new bush from this years shoot or not bother. I've had a good harvest this year and the hedge is starting to fill ou nicely. I know currants are easy to grow from cuttings but don't really have the room to nurture them or bother to weed around them for a year.

I think you answered your own question there - if you don't need any more plants, I shouldn't worry  :)  It sounds like your hedge is very productive - well done!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 12:48 »
Oh yes, don't bother.

Never grow anything that you don't have time to care for properly.

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 12:56 »
May I - please - urge you otherwise?

Plants do have a life-span as we all know and it takes some time (years) for a cutting to become properly productive.

While my efforts are still in the early stages - I am potting up 3 times the quantity I need: one for my garden, one for cuttings/reserve later on and one to give away as thanks or swaps. Not least, I will be getting considerable experience in cuttings that thrive.

So, if you were to take cuttings, you would have the opportunity to replace plants that become old and/or diseased and perhaps you might give some away?

Just my 2p! Hope you don't mind!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:57 by Kevin67 »
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

Ema

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 21:34 »
Thanks Kevin, tbh I'll probably be either moving plots, or moving house in the next year so all change. I never took my plot on with a view to keeping it forever (especially at £86 a year) so am quiet relaxed about it.

My mum already has black and red currant plants and cuttings of mine for the plot she took on this year so I've got back up material if needed.

Swing Swang

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 21:37 »
(especially at £86 a year)

Gulp

xx
Red Currants

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2014, 21:56
by GardenShed
xx
saw fly on red currants

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 24, 2023, 11:24
by Grubbypaws
xx
Red Currants

Started by Sparkyrog on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2013, 17:14
by Hamani
xx
red currants

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2007, 18:55
by bigsprouts

Page created in 0.617 seconds with 28 queries.