What have I done! 😥

• 11 Replies

logi06

What have I done! 😥
« on: June 11, 2019, 10:48 »
Hi
Out of every twenty or so radishes I plant I only get about three that form.
I do pullout excess ones to give them room to grow but have never been able to grow many.
Can anyone help me.
Thank you
J
2C93A4E5-8AF6-4E8F-B66E-161720CEE922.jpeg

Goosegirl

Re: What have I done! 😥
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 12:59 »
I've never grown radishes but maybe they don't like their roots disturbing?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 13:42 »
I multisow in modules then plant out. Usually 4/5 seeds to each module. I pick the largest as they grow by twisting them out and leave the others in the clump to grow on. It seems to be working picked about 20 yesterday.
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

snow white

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 14:39 »
They like rich compost, feeding and plenty of water,  They are not an easy crop.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 17:03 »
They like rich compost, feeding and plenty of water,  They are not an easy crop.

Are radish hard to grow? Really?

I plonk a row of seeds in any space and the things pop up like weed. If I don't remember to harvest them they rapidly reach "big" size and join the compost heap. I always presumed they were an easy thing to grow - a speedy fast growing fill- in between other things crop.

As radish are not seen as essential in my household I really don't fuss with them - dribble the seed in and wander off - splosh of water and then.... crunch! Nice in a salad from time to time.

I have ordinary clay soil.. a newish growing space (gradually improving with compost) but.. so straight-forward.

Only problem encountered (when I grew them on the allotment) was "flea beetle" as it loved chewing countless little holes in the leaves but at home... plain sailing.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 22:09 »
I agree, they are so easy to grow and all I do is keep them weed free. No soil prep or owt else  as I would do for other veg.
All I do is rake the row over so it is level, use my seed dibber (see photo) and pop in the seed and fill hole. A few weeks later and I am pulling them. As mentioned just keep watered as the are shallow rooted compared to others.
IMG-20190508-WA0006.jpeg
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

snow white

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 11:09 »
 :lol: :lol:  Oh how I laughed.  Radishes are my  nemesis chaps. :wacko:   Easy to grow?  Ha.  They only do well in good compost, lots of watering and the occasional feed.  I had the same problem as the OP.  Now carrots and rhubarb I can grow.  Chard loves me as do my apple trees.  In fact everything apart from caulis and brocolli (don't get me started on that) I can grow and grow well.   Very envious of those who just chuck seeds in.   :D

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 14:10 »
:lol: :lol:  Oh how I laughed.  Radishes are my  nemesis chaps. :wacko:   Easy to grow?  Ha.  They only do well in good compost, lots of watering and the occasional feed.  I had the same problem as the OP.  Now carrots and rhubarb I can grow.  Chard loves me as do my apple trees.  In fact everything apart from caulis and brocolli (don't get me started on that) I can grow and grow well.   Very envious of those who just chuck seeds in.   :D
Maybe you need a magic wand like mine  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 15:04 »
I agree, they are so easy to grow and all I do is keep them weed free. No soil prep or owt else  as I would do for other veg.
All I do is rake the row over so it is level, use my seed dibber (see photo) and pop in the seed and fill hole. A few weeks later and I am pulling them. As mentioned just keep watered as the are shallow rooted compared to others.

Love the dibber - eye-sight must be good!! I just make a drill and put the seed in my hand and plonk them in one at a time... (Smaller seeds like carrots go into my hand and I move along the line tapping the side of my hand hoping for the best - usually works).

I often put a stick at either end and tie string between the two sticks - then, when I hoe, anything under the line is safe - anything a few centimetres either side has its head sliced off - keeps the weeds down.

Pleased there's two of us who manage radish without a fuss.. thought I was doing something right all on my own LOL

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 16:58 »
I have been harvesting Radishes since late April (unheated greenhouse). these were in pots filled with Miricle Grow compost. The ones outside doing well now. I have had to chuck some because of the cold - non salad - weather. but still plenty when for when the sun returns.
Did not realise there was a problem with them. ?????????

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 19:26 »
Ahh but Paul P, are your radish sown at 2 inches apart and 2cm and when they pop up look perfect  :lol: :lol:

The dibber has plugs at 2, 4, 6 and 9 inch apart all at 2cm deep  ;)
I also find it disturbs much less weed seed so less weeding, many have admired it and one younger bright lass has made one from a rolling pin with a handle so she rolls it  :nowink:

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 03:27 »
Ahh but Paul P, are your radish sown at 2 inches apart and 2cm and when they pop up look perfect  :lol: :lol:

The dibber has plugs at 2, 4, 6 and 9 inch apart all at 2cm deep  ;)
I also find it disturbs much less weed seed so less weeding, many have admired it and one younger bright lass has made one from a rolling pin with a handle so she rolls it  :nowink:

No Aidy… My beetroot might get the special treatment but the radish are dumped in and left to get on with it mostly... (shame on me LOL)

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 40 queries.