When to introduce my little ones??

• 3 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
When to introduce my little ones??
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:55 »
I've got 2 little girls, a bluebelle and a speckledy, they're 14 weeks old on Friday. They've been living in their own coop and mini-run, insisde the big run, so my 3 ex-batts can get used to them. I let Big bad Flo in with the babies yesterday (top hen), and she just chased and pecked them relentlessly until I fetched her out again.
What age can I just let the babies out with the the big chooks and let them just scrap it out?? I'd say they're about 2 thirds the size of the ex-batts now but really scared and still 'peeping' instead of rosey.
Also, how do I get them used to the big coop, as I want them all sleeping together eventually.
Thanks in advance xx
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
Re: When to introduce my little ones??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 11:26 »
Wow your alot nicer than i am i had 5 week olds in their own coop for two weeks then the Big girls were out in the main yard i opend the door and would let the babies run around with them.

i did that after they were 6 weeks now at 8 weeks one week on with the main flock and did not get beat up to bad they still have loads of places to run in hide if need be but most of the time they all get on.

but yours are big enough to intergrate now as they will be on layers in two weeks or now as i have done that with our twins French Copper Blacks they went right into the main run at 14 weeks and slept with their heads in flower pots but now they are right as rain and should start laying soon at 6 months.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 14:29 »
Thanks for that :) Ok, I'm going out now to let them all party together. I'm going to have a very stressful afternoon  :blink:

PhilDotte

• Ruskin Miniature Lops (rabbits)
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 19:12 »
Over the last couple of days I have been letting my young chicks (8-10 weeks) out in the garden with the big girls all day (they have been sleeping in the roosts with them though for about a week)

So far, so good. No problems what so ever.  The Ex Batts and the Adult Bantams dont bat an eye lash that they are there...  they let the youngsters have free range round the garden without interuption.

The chicks are loving it soo much that they are the last ones back in on a night now and I find I am waiting at the hen house door with a tin or corn shaking it like mad, but they just ignor me.... lol

Phil :)
4 Ex Batts (Sophia, Dorothy, Blanche & Rose) 1 SLW Bantam  (Lacey) 1 GLW Bantam (Harriet) 2 Chocolate Wyandotte Bantams 2 Silkies & 1 Cream Legbar. 3 Pugs (1 Black & 2 Silver Fawns) I breed and show rabbits of which I have about 80 and judge in the UK and Internationally

xx
Can I introduce.....

Started by rudy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 18:29
by rudy
xx
when to re introduce chick and mum...

Started by honda600 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 20:55
by evie2
xx
Wellsummers? What are they like? When to introduce, where to get them from?

Started by Bev on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 02, 2011, 16:22
by Maeve
xx
When to introduce chicks

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 21:28
by chickenlady

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 38 queries.