Leeks

• 3 Replies

Elaine G

Leeks
« on: April 13, 2020, 11:22 »
So this year I am going to crack this leek malarkey!

At the moment they are in the greenhouse ( frost free) in an old cracker box so about 3in deep soil. They are 2 - 3 inch high and obviously very thin. So do I leave them in there or do I need to transplant them on.

In all my years growing I have never had decent sized leeks so any advice gratefully accepted.

Thank you

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Leeks
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 11:39 »
It depends on how close together they are, really. If they're closely spaced they'll need to be potted on - they can still go into another deep tray, they don't have to be in separate pots or modules.
Some idea of how close they can be is here https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26363.0

If they're nicely spaced out, then leave them be, just give them an occasional liquid feed to fatten them up.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 11:42 »
Elaine, at the risk of a serious injury from our resident Leek King - DD, I'd advise that you'll be fine when they're biro refill size!

I have actually taken his previous advice this year and transplanted them into larger pots this year, because I want to plant them out differently, but in the past, as long as they're eventually large enough to be a couple of inches above the soil-level when planted out, and watered in properly, you should be just fine!

Just a thought though, are they earlies, mids or winter ones?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 11:43 by Growster... »

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 12:31 »
Hopefully today I'll be transfferring mine from their starter tray into a much deeper flower trough. That lets the roots go nice and deep and get a bit more feed from the fresh compost while I wait to put them in the ground next month/ June.

xx
Leeks!!!!

Started by TheSpartacat on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2011, 02:27
by TheSpartacat
xx
Not my leeks

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 07:39
by Beetroot queen
xx
leeks

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 17, 2018, 17:59
by DD.
xx
Leeks

Started by AlistairMcLennan on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 15:58
by allanpilgrim

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 39 queries.