Hens at Garden Centre

• 9 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Hens at Garden Centre
« on: May 05, 2012, 22:03 »
My husband and I went to the local garden centre today and they had hens for the first time.  They looked so sleepy and lethargic.  Sleeping on their feet and looking like they were in a daze.  Very quiet.  They looked healthy enough, although I saw one gaping its beak like it was choking, and they all seemed very itchy.  They were POLs, nice big birds.  Very strange.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Hens at Garden Centre
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 22:34 »
Oh please don't get me started on that one!   >:(  Our local GC first got hens about 3 years ago.  Cramped, hungry, thirsty, and some looked ill.  Vastly over priced, then last year I think it was, they had what looked like ex battery hens for the same stupid price!  :ohmy:

Then, after we had complained about the conditions they hens were kept in, they called me to ask if I would like to keep them supplied with POL's!  :ohmy:

I won't tell you what I said to them!   ;) ;) ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 22:42 »
I had a go at someone in Dobbies about the state of their hens

Get them from reputable people please

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 23:02 »
Do you mind????   I was reputable!     :lol: :lol:  So reputable that I told them where to stick their offer to buy my POL's!   ;)

I know what you mean though CQ, but it wasn't just that they are buying chooks where they can get them cheap, but the conditions they were being kept in that I didn't like.  The hens were obviously unhappy.  When our GC first got them, they were inside the GC on a really hot day, with no water as they had tipped it over.

When I complained, the girls said oh I'll have to find the person who deals with it, but while we were there, no one else came to see the hens.  I reported them to the RSPCA, but we all know what they are like!  Didn't do a thing!   >:(

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 23:07 »
I meant a reputable dealer like yourself GA  :)

They are just treated like any other commodity on the shelves. It's very upsetting to see them not being taken care of but the staff aren't blind and if the customers can see they're not well then they've no excuse have they  :(

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 09:04 »
Now that you mention it, there WASN'T any water for them.  Poor dears.  I think one of them had a cold too.  I bought my hens from a highly recommended breeder and they were perfect.  This was my first experience with GC hens and I wasn't happy one bit.  I will avoid them like the plague.  Although I am very partial to the 'Buy or Die' table for plants.  I always make a bee line for that one. 

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 09:31 »
Our local garden centre has had Black Orpingtons for years, but only to show the set up I think. They seem happy and healthy and clean, and is maybe a good idea to show what they need and how they smell, and by that I mean that they are not particularly smelly, but have been on the same ground for years, and it gives non-animal people an idea of what to expect.

jamima

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 11:23 »
I went  to the local Dobbies, they had hens nice large run food and water, they looked very healthy. :)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 13:30 »
It's to hear of the ones that do look after their hens!   :)

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 21:44 »
Our local Dobbies doesn't sell them but does have a little area kinda like a petting zoo (except you can't pet).  All the animals are very well looked after it seems.  Last time I was there was March when it was really hot and thye were putting up extra shading and hadn't brought some of the animals out, like a big fat piggy cos it wasn't suitable for them.

I can't complain at all really, sad to hear others can.  Mind I live in Cumbria, no one in their right mind would buy animals from a garden centre in this county, we are surrounded by farmers

xx
Garden Centre Hens

Started by henamoured on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 17:35
by Oliveview
xx
hens and garden birds

Started by bantam novice on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 08:50
by Beano
xx
afternoon in the garden

Started by bramford on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 21:29
by Lindeggs
xx
Muddy garden

Started by yorkylover on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 20:21
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 37 queries.