Potato Sperry

• 3 Replies

Robster

Potato Sperry
« on: July 25, 2011, 06:23 »
This year I grew Arran Pilot first earlies.  I had some in the ground and some in recycling boxes.  They were grown in similar positions in the garden.  The boxes were beside a raised bed.  I harvested at the same time.  The yields were enormously different.  For the same area I reckon I had about three times the yield.  What is more from the boxes the spuds were very similar sizes and smaller than in the ground.  Of course it was easier to make sure I got all the spuds out of the box.

Is this other peoples experience?  Is this the same with second earlies and salads as well.  I am probably just going to do boxes next year

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Potato Sperry
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 06:36 »
What is more from the boxes the spuds were very similar sizes and smaller than in the ground. 

That bit doesn't actually make sense! (but we get the gist).

Was the compost/soil the same?

That aside it's much easier to keep the moisture content of a box, or indeed straight soil, higher than in a raised bed, and that could be the reason. A raised bed will drain very quickly.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 06:36 »
We grew a few varieties (7 - long story) last year in containers, well large bags actually. The yields were all small, as in small numbers of spuds. This year going back to growing them in the ground albeit a late decision and therefore an area of ground which should have been prepped better, we're getting much bigger yields.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Robster

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 05:33 »
Sorry yes a bit garbled.  The boxes were much higher yielding.  As you say easier to keep watered and fed as well.  The boxes were filled with garden  compost straight from the bin.  I fed both with a potato feed.  I have some newpers in boxes for Christmas now.  So it will be interesting to see how much I get out from there

xx
potato help please!!!

Started by Tattieman69 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 19:04
by Tattyanne456
xx
potato

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2015, 09:57
by Hampshire Hog
xx
new potato

10 Replies
Last post May 26, 2016, 22:06
by JimB
xx
potato

6 Replies
Last post February 03, 2016, 19:11
by Trikidiki

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 38 queries.