Rats?

• 9 Replies

ferreter51

Rats?
« on: July 23, 2011, 11:31 »
I've been growing potatoes for several years, but only for two in my present kitchen garden but I've never seen damage like this before.  About 50% of my Desiree tubers have slug damage, but 10% also have large, apparantly chewed-out areas.

I attach a photo of one tuber showing 'normal' slug damage marked with an 'A', but the larger area is what I haven't seen before.  Could it be rats?  Has anyone else seen this kind of thing before?
pot2a.jpg

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Rats?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 19:31 »
Yes I have !!!!  :tongue2: :tongue2:

You are right that this is likely to be rats who have made the tooth marks at the bottom of the potato

We had rats in our garage last winter and they ate parts of loads of our stored spuds.

The hollow middle happened during growth and the upper brown marks ate rot -- maybe from something like wireworm damage before they were dug, and now those parts are rotting.

Done my best to help - sorry it's a bit of a list  ???
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ferreter51

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 05:20 »
Yes I have !!!!  :tongue2: :tongue2:

You are right that this is likely to be rats who have made the tooth marks at the bottom of the potato

We had rats in our garage last winter and they ate parts of loads of our stored spuds.

The hollow middle happened during growth and the upper brown marks ate rot -- maybe from something like wireworm damage before they were dug, and now those parts are rotting.

Done my best to help - sorry it's a bit of a list  ???

Thanks for that.  Unfortunately all the damage was done before the potatoes were dug up and not when they were stored.  I can find no trace of underground rat runs or tunnels actually going down in or around the beds.  The Charlottes I dug were affected, but not to the same degree.  Today I will dig up a couple of haulms from the bed of Caras to see if they are also damaged.  It is early for that variety, but I would rather have a smaller crop of decent spuds than one which is heavily damaged.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 09:37 »
Other plot holders have had damage from rats on growing crops -- I just gave this as an example of when I had seen identical damage. Sorry of this was misleading  :wacko:

ferreter51

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 09:55 »
Other plot holders have had damage from rats on growing crops -- I just gave this as an example of when I had seen identical damage. Sorry of this was misleading  :wacko:

No problem.  I have just dug up some Caras and they are badly affected by the chewing, although not by the holes.  A few of the holes and hollow centres have slugs in them, but, of course, slugs can take advantage of the holes made by wire worms.  I don't want to use rat poison, but that may be the only option left.  For slugs I am going to try Nemaslug again.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 17:52 »
And for wireworms just pick them out as you dig  :)

Our plot was riddled with them when we first started and now, 18m later, they are few and far between.

That was a lot of digging over and over, and hudreds (literally) of wireworms later.

Actually you can also trap them in buried pieces of potato with a stick in so you can find them again aka potato kebabs round here  :lol: :lol:

brown thumb

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 20:41 »
am i right in saying potatoes are poisonous to rats but not to mice think i have read it some where if thats correct  just think you will have given poor ratty a sore tum if not worse :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 08:46 »
I don't think potatoes can be poisonous to rats, given the amount of damage we had to our spuds in storage last year and one of my plot neighbours suffered with his crop whilst still in the ground  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

There is plenty else they could eat and yet they came back for more spuds  :lol: :lol:

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 09:32 »
am i right in saying potatoes are poisonous to rats but not to mice think i have read it some where if thats correct  just think you will have given poor ratty a sore tum if not worse :lol:

I think it's sweet potatoes that are poisonous to rats.

loam ranger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 21:42 »
Ive had some of my Kestrel spuds nibbled by rats, also some tomatoes have been got at by rats.
When I checked the traps in the polytunnel this morning there was a rat cought in one of them.  must killed about twenty this year.
Geoff  >:(

xx
rats

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 19:42
by CZ Silhouette
xx
rats

Started by hoporus on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 09:18
by Livinhope
xx
Rats

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 13:27
by NICK.STONE
xx
RAts

Started by Ramsbury Allotments on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 17:28
by dugless

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 38 queries.