poorly poorly hen advice please

• 12 Replies

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
poorly poorly hen advice please
« on: July 06, 2011, 09:08 »
 :(
Hello all

I am asking this on behalf of a friend who has two hens, one very recently started to eat the sprouing shoots of spilled dove corn/seed 

Since this time the hen has started to lose weight rapidly and when drinking all foul smelling fluid comes from her beak.

Her crop feels spongy and she is unwell, she has read on the internet about making an incision into the crop  :wacko:

I suggested that I ask the question on here to you good people as I am not knowlegable enough to advise

thank you all

broody
if wishes were changes.......

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
Re: poorly poorly hen advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 09:14 »
You can identify sour crop by checking the crop before the bird eats in the morning and if it is sour crop the crop will be watery or squishy like a balloon and if you open the bird’s beak a foul smell will emanate from it.

Treating Sour Crop in Chickens

To treat sour crop if it develops you should start by holding your chicken upside down with the head away from you and gently massage the crop from bottom to top so that the fluid is released.

Once this has been done mix some natural (live) yoghurt into the layers pellets or mash and feed this to the bird along with water mixed with apple cider vinegar as described below throughout the day.

You will probably need to repeat this over three days until the crop stops filling and the bacteria in the crop returns to normal. In the event the problem persists for more than a week seek a vet’s advice as a course of anti-fungal medicine may be required.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 09:33 »
Thank you for the speedy reply I will pass that on and I learned something new too!!

greatly appreciated

Broody :)

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 10:18 »
Having done this exact procedure just 2 weeks agao with one of my girls, i can comfirm it does work and is great to see them perk up.  :D

Good Luck
Emma

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 12:46 »
When your friend tips her bird up to expel the fluid from her crop make sure she gives the hen a moment to take a breath every now and then. You can also add some crushed or dried garlic to the yoghurt and pellets porridge.
This does help. Keep her separated from an other hens otherwise they will just gobble her rations up before she can get to it!

Orchardlady.

cathyb68

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 15:44 »
What do you do if the chicken (about 6 weeks old) isn't eating anything at all?  I noticed that her crop is soft and when you massage it she does expel fluid.  But we are having to feed her with a syringe and she is getting worse by the day.  Please help!

bantam novice

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 18:41 »
Hello Cathy68,
I am not an expert but it sounds to me as if you should take the chick to a vet for anti-fungal treatment if the sour crop has got so bad.  Chicks can go downhill very fast so the sooner the better.  In the meantime help her to expel the fluid and try to syringe some of the yoghurt and dried crushed garlic into her.
Good luck and keep us posted
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

cathyb68

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 19:21 »
How do I find a vet that will take care of chicks?  Got some fluid expelled from her.  Giving her olive oil and water to help unblock her crop.  Will try yogurt and garlic on her tonight.  Thanks for all the helpful information.  I am new to raising chickens.

evie2

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 19:42 »
Can you look for vets in your area and ask before you go whether they have experience of chicken ailments and if not could they suggest one.

I went to one of the vets listed for my area as being chicken friendly, which they are but they suggested for my query another vet who works with farm animals would be better.

Good luck whatever happens, I know it's a worry  :)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Casey76

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 10:48 »
CathyB, if she has sour crop, then it is not blocked, so olive oil won't help.  Sour crop is a fungal infection, much like thrush.

Impacted crop, is caused by a blockage, usually long pieces of grass which have rolled into a ball, and then the breath doesn't smell, and they will not regurgitate.  Then hand massage of the impaction with a very small amount of olive oil or liquid paraffin can help to unblock the crop.

:)

cathyb68

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 14:27 »

Even with all your wonderful advice, poor Simon passed away last night.  My daughter of course is devastated.  Thank you to everyone for your help and well wishes.

evie2

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 23:00 »
Sorry to hear that Cathy, it's so hard especially for our wee ones :(

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 18:22 »
Hello all

I am asking this on behalf of a friend who has two hens, one very recently started to eat the sprouing shoots of spilled dove corn/seed 

Since this time the hen has started to lose weight rapidly and when drinking all foul smelling fluid comes from her beak.

Her crop feels spongy and she is unwell, she has read on the internet about making an incision into the crop  :wacko:

I suggested that I ask the question on here to you good people as I am not knowlegable enough to advise

thank you all

broody

Just to let you know Henny was taken  off to the vet by her owner and was given baytril but sadly after a few days she passed on to the chicken coop in the sky. Thank you though to the replies and the knowledge that you were able to impart to us. We will know what to do in future if ever that situation presents itself to us

Broody :)

xx
Advice for poorly hen please

Started by Kazoo on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 13:53
by Flowerpower136
xx
some advice please-poorly hen

Started by Flump on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 20, 2009, 18:20
by Flump
xx
Poorly hen - advice please?

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 02, 2014, 18:47
by Maeve
xx
Poorly hen advice please

Started by Sprouts on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 10:12
by Sassy

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 39 queries.