experienced keeper question

• 29 Replies

kitkat

• Experienced Member
Re: experienced keeper question
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 14:29 »
Does that mean this is now the 4th Martyn?
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

grumpydad

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 15:45 »
no, not yet, this is the third, 1 buff rock bantam still going, but a bit lethargic, hope the anti biotics will help her beat whatever is with them.
2 wyandottes have started laying, so whatever it is they seem to be immune to it, maybe by breed, as they were all about the same age

martyn

grumpydad

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 10:22 »
bad news.
preliminary findings appear that this chicken died from coccidiosis due to a compromised immune system due to mareks.
that is mareks knocked out the immune system and she died with what she would normally have carried and been immune to.

good news
after a lot of internet searching, and with thanks to sparshalt agricultural college, hampshire, they have carried out a study that was published in the smallholder magazine june 2006.
it states that there is an alternative to vet medication, which can kill the parasites but leave the birds then free to succumb to the bugs again, it is simply, life guard tonic, which they say, and i quote.

Life-Guard works by using ingredients (all 100 per cent natural, claim the makers) such as vitamins, oregano, antioxidants and prebiotics, which encourage the beneficial bacteria in the bird's gut. These make the bird better able to fight infection and help it to maintain condition: not only of skin and feathers but also the number and quality of its eggs.

The tests, conducted at Sparsholt College, showed that mortality was reduced by two-thirds in chicks aged between four and twelve weeks and that all the treated birds were less susceptible to coccidiosis. It is available without prescription and because all its constituent ingredients are natural there are no residues in either eggs or meat.

thanks, sharsholt and smallholder, mine were already on life guard,but i have upped the dose to the stressed bird dosage to try to help them all get over their problems.

i would also like to thank and reccomend, reading university, who have a web site dedicated to animal welfare, including diseases, problems, treatments.

their site is.
www.organic-vet.reading.ac.uk/poultryweb/miscel/p2.htm

grumpydad

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 10:25 »
Aunt Sally,
 hope that you can read the Reading University site, and if you think it worthwile add to the stickies for anyone else who may have similar problems.
hope by acknowleding the research and publishing rights i have not compromised the sites copyrights

martyn

grumpydad

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 10:29 »
nearly forgot,

for any birds suspected of suffering from coccidiosis, a diet of maize is reccomended on some research, as it contains higher doses of certain minerals that wheat does not have.

tesco have corn cobs on offer at the moment, so mine have had some this morning as an extra boost, to hell with the lack of eggs, i will get them another day, have you seen how quickly a chuck can eat a corn cob ?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 10:44 »
Martyn, I have some hens recovering and mine have probiotic yoghurt, garlic, tinned sweetcorn and poultry spice which probably does the same sort of thing (thanks to the advice from Jay at Archies little gems). If I feed them corn on the cob they fight over it - it's like they've never had food before  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

grumpydad

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 11:00 »
i wanted to find out why, and to learn, i really dont want to loose a chicken for nothing. if it helps someone else who has a similar problem, then it was not in vain.

cant give probiotic yog yet, as one drinker still has an antibiotic in it.

martyn

joyfull

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 11:09 »
You sound the same as me I did lots of research when I lost some (couldn't sleep for worrying so was on the internet at 4 in the morning trying to find out things). One illness that I think mine may have had (cloacitis - although they didn't have all the symptoms of that or any other illness I came across - I know this doesn't help you as yours had different problems) stated that broad spectrum antibiotics should not be given and mine had been on an antibiotic for 7 days, so I stopped that and started feeding the yoghurt etc and touch wood they seem to be on the mend. Will know later today or tomorrow the results of the autopsy but hopefully mine are over the worse of it. Good luck with yours.
Probiotic yoghurt is also good for chickens after they have been wormed as it helps build up the good bacteria in their gut which the worming can remove.  Joy xx

grumpydad

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 11:26 »
well you beat me then, i was only up till 1 this morning.

as soon as they are off the antibiotics, they will have yogurt, vet said live, but i am not sure if that is the same as probiotic, i am sure someone can advise me if there is a difference.

martyn

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 12:13 »
I'll look at that reference Dad !

I can't recommend Avipro Plus enough !  It is brilliant for chooks (and other small animals) digestive tracts especiall after they have been on antibiotics.  It is a probiotic (yes, yogurt is that too Dad) and contains added vitamins.  You can add it to drinking water or sprinkle it onto food (which is what I do) I get a tub of it from my vet for about £8 and it is available on line.  It probably works out cheaper than yogurt in the long run.

http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/AVIPRO.html

Foxy

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 13:12 »
Grumpy dad, thank you so much for all the research you have done, I really hope you can soon find some lovely banties to replace the ones you lost.

grumpydad

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 13:37 »
thank you foxy, just wanted to know why.

i am going to go to Holme Fram Poultry, from this site, i know that Joyfull and Grannie Annie have been there.

as long as i have no further problems in the next 6 weeks, i will go and have rhode island bantams and buff sussex hens, two and 1, but not sure which to have 2 of yet.

martyn

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 14:03 »
Good on you Martyn for getting to the bottom of it. Fingers crossed for the others.  :)

joyfull

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 16:13 »
Martyn, when you decide to come up let me know we could meet up - I do have a holiday booked towards the end of September but apart from that would love to meet. The only trouble with holme farm poultry is deciding which breed to go for - I originally went to get a light sussex but each time I go there I see something else instead  :lol:. Still not got one, but now have decided to stick with araucanas instead. In fact yesterday I really really liked the blue eyed rheas although I just keep having images of Rod Hull and Bernie Clifton flash into my head so that keeps putting me off - Oh and the price  :lol:
I see Aunt Sally has recommended Avipro plus - funnily enough I have just bought some from our local pet shop in Spalding - probiotic, prebiotic and vitamins (had never heard of it although I'm sure Jay of Archies Gems mentioned something similar to me).

grumpydad

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 20:09 »
will do.
am giving vera the bantam her medication, she does seem a lot better, so i really hope i have managed to hold on to her, the other 2 are fine, laying eggs and running round the lawn. They have even started to mug you if you go outside with a sandwich, so they are ok, all on life guard for a while, with corn on the cob treat in the afternoon, just for a short while to build them up.
i think i will be having 2 rhode island red bantams, and a buff sussex, to bring me back to 3 large and 3 small.

xx
has anyone else experienced this?

Started by Flump on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 16:47
by Flump
xx
Has anyone experienced this before????

Started by Pixieswift on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 17:10
by AL Hathaway
xx
Anyone experienced with egg bind??

Started by Chookiechook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 21:20
by Chookiechook
xx
Experienced advice???

Started by Totty on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post December 04, 2010, 12:46
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 37 queries.