experienced keeper question

• 29 Replies

grumpydad

experienced keeper question
« on: August 19, 2009, 20:08 »
could i please ask the experienced keepers who talk on this site, how common it would be to loose 3 apparently vaccinated chickens to mareks disease within 4 months of being installed in a virgin chicken area, with new equipment.
no chickens in the nearby area.
i have not been in contact with any other chickens.
i am not happy because the breeder who we had all the chickens from has said that this is all at my end and nothing to do with him.
it is likely that i will also loose a 4th chicken, thereby having a 66% death rate of young vaccinated birds

martyn

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: experienced keeper question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 20:42 »
Hi Martyn, By no means experienced keeper - still learning myself but have found this which may be of interest to you:-
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1301/investigating-vaccination-failure-in-poultry-flocks

In which it explains why some vaccines don't work (such as the one for mareks if not used promplty after mixing looses its potentcy).
joyfullxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 21:26 »
A lot of large breeders of utility birds say that their chickens are vaccinated, these breeders usually sell the chickens quite cheap, so I can't see how it would be cost effective.  ???
I have bred a lot of chickens (pure breeds) over the last few years and have never vaccinated any of them or lost any of them to mareks.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 21:26 »
Hi Martyn, i'm certainly not experienced enough to answer your questions, touch wood i've never had a bird with Mareks, and hope i never do.
     I think you are right to want to know whats going on, its not fair on you or the birds. I also think its really weird to have lost the first 2 to different diseases, i dont see how it can be anything you have done. Hope the Wyandottes stay good :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 21:34 »
If vaccinated correctly it does not stop the hens from getting marek's but it stops it progressing to the stages which kill the birds.  It is very effective if done correctly.

So I'd agrre with Joyfull that IF vaccinated it was NOT done properly. 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 21:38 »
Hi martyn, I am sorry you lost some of your chooks.  Are you sure it was Mareks?

Some breeders are unscrupulous and say their birds are vaccinated when they are not.  our hybrids are vaccinated at day old by the hatchery, and last year I did get some vaccines for several different diseases to see how it would affect the birds, but 2 died of something completely different to the vaccines I got!

The problem for small breeders is that the vaccines only come in doses of 1000 at a time, and if you only have say 200 birds, a lot is wasted as Joyfull says, after only a couple of hours it becomes ineffective, and it puts more expenses on the breeder.

Even if the birds hadn't been vaccinated, I can't see how they would get Mareks in your virgin area, unless it was in the ground pooped on by wild birds?

I know this doesn't help, but if a breeder tells you their birds are vaccinated, they should be able to show you the paperwork which tells you the name of the vaccine, the batch number, where it came from and the expiry date!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 21:45 »

Even if the birds hadn't been vaccinated, I can't see how they would get Mareks in your virgin area, unless it was in the ground pooped on by wild birds?

It's not carried by wild birds Grannie only by chickens.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 21:48 »
Then I'm stumped Auntie!  It must have been in the chickens already!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 21:49 »
Exactly !

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 22:03 »
Hello ! sorry you lost another and have another poorly, but have just found this snippet from another website!

Management
Vaccination alone will not prevent Marek's disease.  It is important to be attentive to the following management and hygiene procedures.

It is essential that vaccinated chicks be isolated during their first two weeks of life so that their immunity will develop before they are subjected to a severe challenge of virus. Chicks reared separately are free from the infected fluff and dust of older birds. This material can be carried by wind and by people and equipment.

Hygiene is important. There should be a thorough clean-out and disinfection of sheds and equipment between batches of chicks. To control MD, a disinfectant should be used which is effective against viruses, and not just against bacteria.  Care should be taken to protect oneself from spray by the wearing of suitable protective clothing and breathing apparatus.

Exposure of the sheds and runs to sunlight helps the disinfection process.

Good nutrition and freedom from other diseases and parasites are necessary to maintain the flock´s health and to ensure that the birds have optimum resistance against MD infection.

Breeding

Breeding programs to select birds for resistance to Marek´s disease are important to give better control in the future.

In summary, Marek´s disease control requires attention to correct vaccination, isolation of young chicks, hygiene, good health and genetically resistant strains of birds.

For flocks with a serious MD problem, the only solution is to depopulate, clean and disinfect all sheds and equipment and spell for several months. Then replace with vaccinated chicks from a reputable hatchery.

Article taken from : http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/27_2741_ENA_HTML.htm
Sorry aunty

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:55 by chickenlady »
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grumpydad

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 22:07 »
many thanks for the answers, it does help to know that this was almost certainly nothing i did.
the rhode island red we had had always had very watery poos from when we got her, but at the time being chicken virgins, i did not think it was anything other than possible stress at being moved, now however think it could have been something more serious, as she never out much weight on.
the breeder said he has not had any other complaints of chickens dying, but i dont think too many people will have had the vets do an autopsy to discover why they have died.
i am so angry at this last one, mainly due to the suffering of the birds, that i intend to have her sent to a poultry path lab for tests to find out why she died.
over the top maybe for a chicken in a small family flock of 6, but i dont like being misled or lied to.
will post the results of that path lab when i have them, than tackle the breeder.
again many thanks, hope all your chucks lay lots of eggs, just closed the pop hole on a lonely bantam in the corner.

martyn

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 04:20 »
So sorry Martyn, but if and when you decide to restock let us all know and I'm sure we can find you a more reputable breeder. joyfullxx

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 07:32 »
Good luck dad.  Breeders with infected stock / poor housekeeping etc. should be stopped !!!!!!

On another note could members (e.g. chickenlady) please post a reference for things they quote from other web sites.  We have copyright problems otherwise !

Sassy

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 08:34 »
Good luck dad.  Breeders with infected stock / poor housekeeping etc. should be stopped !!!!!!

I second this and it is great that you are prepared to follow this through. If the results are as you suspect perhaps Trading Standards or whatever they are called these days should be involved. :mad:

good luck :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

grumpydad

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 13:36 »
one little chicken has been delivered to the defra lab in shrewsbury for full analysis.
see what the result is in due course.

martyn

xx
has anyone else experienced this?

Started by Flump on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 16:47
by Flump
xx
Has anyone experienced this before????

Started by Pixieswift on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 17:10
by AL Hathaway
xx
Anyone experienced with egg bind??

Started by Chookiechook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 21:20
by Chookiechook
xx
Experienced advice???

Started by Totty on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post December 04, 2010, 12:46
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 33 queries.