Aubergines...

• 6 Replies

Growster...

Aubergines...
« on: November 01, 2019, 17:11 »
Can anyone tell me what on earth these things do to make life a vibrant place to inhabit?

They're slimy, tasteless, problematic with differing sources of poison-eradication, tasteless, difficult to grow and generally a waste of a plate-area!

Yeah they have 'nice' colour, but so does a tomato, a cucumber, and most other veg!

Answers on a Tesco receipt please...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Aubergines...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 08:29 »
Oh Growster, I love them, roasted in olive oil with cheese inside, or baked Parmigiana, or in Caponata, Moussaka, Melitzanosalata with flatbreads, in a curry.....

However, if you don't like them, just don't eat them, same as everything else "one man's meat etc"  :lol: :lol:

My only regret is that whenever I grow them, I sometimes have lovely healthy plants - but poor fruit setting, so mine tend to come from Trashco :(

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 11:03 »
I'm with you Mum, can't beat a roasted aubergine stuffed with minced lamb, cooked tomato, garlic and basil.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 07:01 »
Oh, alright then...

Those recipes sound pretty good, so I'll bow down to your experiences and skills!

Anyone for a baked bean omelette...?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 09:39 »
If you don't like them, then give them a swerve and don't eat them Mr G  :lol:  Aubergines do tend to divide people between the love them and hate them camps. 

Anyone for a baked bean omelette...?

That sounds quite nice really.  Can I have brown sauce with mine please  :D

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 07:13 »
I will, News, well, I will eventually!

Trouble is, they are a 'component', (not a luxurious one I have to admit), of Waitrose's own-brand moussaka, and as we eat like birds here, they sort of get in the way of the nicer elements. We share a portion for one, so I finish up with all the purple slop, and Mrs Growster gets all the nice parts! (She's worth it)...

Perhaps I should be more adventurous and actually follow all these recipes above, but if I'm spotted buying an aubergine, will I get chased away by people with fierce looks and waving recipe books?

jambop

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 19:59 »
I will, News, well, I will eventually!

Trouble is, they are a 'component', (not a luxurious one I have to admit), of Waitrose's own-brand moussaka, and as we eat like birds here, they sort of get in the way of the nicer elements. We share a portion for one, so I finish up with all the purple slop, and Mrs Growster gets all the nice parts! (She's worth it)...

Perhaps I should be more adventurous and actually follow all these recipes above, but if I'm spotted buying an aubergine, will I get chased away by people with fierce looks and waving recipe books?
They are delicious cooked in so many ways... but also lightly pickled in lovely olive oil with added herbs and spices see here EGGPLANT PRESERVED IN OLIVE OIL Italian recipe - YouTube  I add a bit more of flavourings but the principle is the same. Indian style brinjal pickle lovely jubbley or aubergine and potato curry ! You have to open your mind and taste buds you don't know what you are missing. Lasagna made with  grilled aubergine instead of pasta delish !

xx
Aubergines

Started by Turkey Jane on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 12, 2008, 17:15
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 46 queries.