Runner Beans

• 40 Replies

Robster

Re: Runner Beans
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 07:38 »
My runners (Enorma and Polestar) and climbers are in potato bags.  Six to a bag that is filled with fresh garden compost and a handful of grow more on top.  They are going fine no yellowing and twinning well up the canes.  I have not yet put any in the ground.  So I would guess that the woes are down o the rain like everyone says washing away the nutrients

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 07:56 »
I asked my brother how his beans were and he said they were fine. His garden is very sheltered from the wind, and not far from here.

born_2b_mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 08:46 »
Mine have just started to pick up this week, they had grown handsomly in their individual pots, but as soon as they hit the open ground it all came to a grinding halt.

Got to a point where nearly all of them had gone brown and wilted, but thankfully new shoots have appeared and started to grow well, tallest is around four foot high, no flowers visible though.

On the other hand, my eldest boy planted 3 beans in a pot a couple of months ago in our garden, these are now taller than my shed, and have many flowers!!!! :dry:

Need to nudge him for some tips in growing I think. :lol:
Gardener's Diary Comments Here

snowdrops

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012, 08:55 »
Well as I said 2 weeks back inadvertently I'd only just sown my beans (& sweetcorn),so their still not in the ground & doing very well. Luckily yesterday they were still in the plastic blow away as due to our adverse weather conditions(see weather thread) they would have been finished. My plot neighbour rang me yesterday & told me her beans had been  snapped of & her broad beans were in tatters.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 09:44 »
Crops like sweet corn, cucurbits, and beans will all sulk in the sort of temperatures we've had until recently without any other handicapping factors, but strong winds make it worse by adding "wind chill" to the equation and by potentially causing physical damage, and the high rainfall can leach nutrients from the soil, nitrogen usually being the first to be depleted due to the greater solubility of nitrates.

A liquid feed and the muggy temperatures of the last few days have considerably improved all my crops mentioned above, although it's windy today and the temperatures are forecast to be much lower over the next few days..............
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 16:09 »
I was surprised to see my runner beans plastered with flower when I visted them yesterday and now I'm worried about straining my back when they eventually produce runners that need picking.  :blink:

All that bending down to reach them could be stressful to back muscles in this chilly weather  :lol: - my beans are no more than 3 foot high.   ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2012, 17:01 »
gave mine a little feed the other day and the yellowing leaves have mow gone and they started climbing again looking a lot stronger for it
keep allotments alive grow your own

Paul Plots

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2012, 00:27 »
gave mine a little feed the other day and the yellowing leaves have mow gone and they started climbing again looking a lot stronger for it

Sounds good. What did you feed them with?

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2012, 11:33 »
They had liquid seaweed over leaves and some fish blood and bone sprinkled round roots they doing better now but still not as good as last year. ???

greenthing

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2012, 13:17 »
I had a late start too so mine were all in their modules still but doing OK...and then the slugs found 'em and I lost ALL of them :(.

Found some more plug plants at a local garden centre and despite being somewhat chewed are doing OK still. Will hopefully get them in the ground later this week..

Paul Plots

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2012, 13:32 »
I feel a better title for this thread may have been "Limper" Beans.  ::)  :lol:

It's no laughing matter!!  >:(  :lol:  :lol:

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
French beans and runner beans

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 25, 2012, 13:19
by Thrift

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 37 queries.