Blackcurrant bushes

• 14 Replies

Benandbill

Blackcurrant bushes
« on: June 27, 2013, 05:36 »
If I were to pick a load now while they were still green and put them away somewhere, would they ripen on their own?  A fellow plot holder said he left his on there while they were black planning to pick them the next day and the bush had been stripped bare by birds.  I tried netting them but they just grow through the mesh, I know you need cages really but that's too big a project for me at the moment.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Blackcurrant bushes
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 05:51 »
No, they're only a small fruit and would quickly loose their moisture content and whizzen.

You need to cover, but the net you throw over them needs to be a fine mesh.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 07:17 »
I havent ever netted mine in the past but now i am wondering whether i should, we do have very large wire cages available that could be moved to cover them i suppose.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 10:15 »
If you don't chuck a net curtain, etc  over them then you have to be on the ball and visit the plot daily or the birds will nick them. 

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 10:32 »
If you don't chuck a net curtain, etc  over them then you have to be on the ball and visit the plot daily or the birds will nick them.

I dont understand why we have never had a problem, only one person on our site has netted them. Maybe our somerset birds dont like them  ;) may net just incase i have tempted fate

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 16:28 »

I dont understand why we have never had a problem, only one person on our site has netted them. Maybe our somerset birds dont like them  ;) may net just incase i have tempted fate

It seems to vary by where you are. When I was in Herts I never netted the blackcurrants and none were taken. When I moved up to Cheshire I went up the allotment on Friday and saw that they were fully ripe and went back on Monday to pick them and every one had gone :( Pigeons I think as the branches had been broken where the fat gits had been sitting on the plants :mad: Last year I just draped netting over the top once they started to ripen. Which reminds me that I must do it again soon.

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 17:16 »
thanks nobbie  thats reminded me to do it too :lol:

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 17:51 »
Did a Summer prune of all my currants and goosegogs yesterday which made the bushes easier to net.
Each bush has chicken wire round to stop the....yes.....chickens.....scratching round so I drape over some fine mesh and peg it to the wire. Big faff but the birds here are partial to fruit.
Werks for me!

dmg

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 23:55 »
We don't seem to have the problems with the birds here, my aunt's plots is about 1/2 fruit bushes and are never netted

Benandbill

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 18:37 »
Well I just had another look at them today and they're all there and starting to change colour now.  I guess the birds only like them when they're fully ripe.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 18:46 »
We've just netted all our blackcurrants, as they're just about ripening, and for the first time ever, we've got a glut..;0)

But the blasted pigeons are a menace, and I need a good recipe for the blighters..'0(

Beetroot queen

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 18:48 »
We've just netted all our blackcurrants, as they're just about ripening, and for the first time ever, we've got a glut..;0)

But the blasted pigeons are a menace, and I need a good recipe for the blighters..'0(

How about roasted pigeon with a blackcurrant glaze, seems ao fitting  :D

Benandbill

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 18:51 »

How about roasted pigeon with a blackcurrant glaze, seems ao fitting  :D

I suggest a nice pigeon pie followed by nice blackcurrant crumble with ice cream.  Mmmm

Beetroot queen

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 18:55 »
With the amount of pigeons about i am sure it could be a five course dinner  :D

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 19:06 »
Pigeons are a menace.  At the plot last night until 630 gone back this afternoon s and they have wrecked my peas. T they have sat on top of my netting.  Had to build it brighter.   They have stripped 2 gooseberry bushes.  Wish something could be done with them.

xx
blackcurrant bushes

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 22, 2015, 13:17
by GrannieAnnie
xx
When to prune blackcurrant bushes

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 13, 2012, 17:19
by Kleftiwallah
xx
blackcurrant & redcurrant bushes for £2

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2016, 15:18
by sunshineband
xx
Blackcurrant & raspberry bushes

Started by Dartford_Digger on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2013, 18:41
by sion01

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 30 queries.