Seaweed Extract

• 8 Replies

mrs bouquet

Seaweed Extract
« on: June 06, 2021, 10:48 »
Two opinions, but I would like yours please.    One person says yes, the other no.  Can I use this on my lawn ?
Also is there anywhere else I cannot use it?   Many thanks,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Seaweed Extract
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 20:22 »
I have always found it pretty useful.  Maybe not as a main feed, but it contains a lot of different trace elements and can work magic on sickly plants.

Never tried it on a lawn.  What are you trying to do Mrs B - just buck it up, generate a lot of growth ...?

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 11:13 »
Just thought it might help the "grass" which is now like straw.  But I didn't realise how much it stains, my finger nails look as if they have been in, well,  Seaweed Extract !! :lol:  Mrs B

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 02:18 »
Seaweed extract has a lot of trace elements, but so do other possible fertilizers. The extract also has plant hormones that can stimulate root growth.

When you say the grass is like straw, is it dead, or is there some green to it? Is it possible that it just needs to be watered? Or if water is not an issue, does the grass possibly have a disease problem, like a fungus, that requires treatment?
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 12:16 »
Hi, I think it needs alot of water and possibly some re-seeding, with a bit of good soil.  Perhaps a job for the autumn.  Mrs B

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 19:22 »
It's amazing how seemingly-dead grass can recover later in the season when it gets a bit cooler and wetter!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 12:33 »
Hi, I think it needs alot of water and possibly some re-seeding, with a bit of good soil.  Perhaps a job for the autumn.  Mrs B

An autumn re-seeding sounds like a good idea.  If you can find a trustworthy source for bulk compost (such as municipal; often less expensive), and can hire someone to broadcast seed, followed by spreading a thin layer of compost over the seed, it will improve germination and growth of the new grass.  This is what I've done on my lawn.  You will need at least a ton of compost spread per quarter acre.

In the meantime, light applications of granular fertilizer (balanced, or with a higher "N" number) spaced a month apart, with watering, might help.  By light application, I mean spreading at the low end of the recommended spreader setting, or even cutting the rate in half.

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 15:24 »
My brother puts his used dish water on his lawns and they are lush and green, he swears thats all he uses. Me being organic does not, Im currently over run with dandelions and creeping buttercup but the lawn is my Kali's space so i wont use chemicals on it, now the mower is up a few notches and the grass is left a little longer.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 15:28 by KalisDad »
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

mrs bouquet

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 10:36 »
I must admit to using my washing up bowl of water for the plants, never thought of the grass  ::)  Mrs B

xx
Seaweed

Started by scabs on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 14:21
by scabs
xx
seaweed

Started by thecakebaker on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 16:14
by mumofstig
xx
seaweed

Started by Selkie on General Gardening

35 Replies
Last post October 30, 2007, 14:40
by clarebear
xx
Tomerite and Seaweed

Started by omits on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2023, 02:56
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 48 queries.