Underplanting green manure

• 3 Replies

Stringbags

Underplanting green manure
« on: June 15, 2016, 22:18 »
I'm looking at under planting my sweetcorn with green manure rather than using bark chippings, has anyone any tips on the best to use? I have some mustard seed and alfalfa seed already in store and I think I have a packet of Phacelia somewhere, but I'm looking at a dual purpose , suppress the weeds and then either dig in when the sweetcorn are gone or leave over winter. This also gets me thinking what else could I underplant, sprouts, kale, runner beans, french beans, broad beans, cabbages? What do you think?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Underplanting green manure
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 22:35 »
I would not do this, to be honest.  The GM will compete with the sweet corn for nutrients and water, and the sweet corn is a hungry plant so might not thrive as much as you would want.

For the same reasons I would not underplant with any other veggies.  Also, many of them have different growing conditions or timescales - you'd affect one or the other by harvesting / removing.

In parts of America they adopt the 3 sisters approach of growing corn, runner beans and another crop (can't remember which) but anyone who has tried it on here has always reported poor results.

I have grown squash around the outside of corn before.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 19:47 »
I under-planted broccoli one year with trefoil. Difficult to say if it helped or hindered the crop as I had no 'control' but they were ok. Problem was they didn't suppress the weed very well so I ended up with a bumper under-crop of weeds as well.

I think I'll leave green manures for the autumn/winter months when annual weeds won't be a problem.

al78

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 21:20 »
Clover and Trefoil seems to be frequently mentioned when it comes to intercropping. The clover will fix nitrogen into the soil which may benefit nitrogen-hungry crops such as brassicas. The foliage may help suppress annual weeds and when it has done its job can be dug into the ground to rot and produce organic material for the soil.

xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 35 queries.