Anybody got any experience of Seitan?

• 4 Replies

Swing Swang

Anybody got any experience of Seitan?
« on: December 24, 2010, 14:07 »
Have been given some veggie recipies that use Seitan - I had to look it up too - essentially its unleavend bread dough that has been thoroughly washed to remove all of the starch so that only the glutin is left (look it up on U tube, looks fun to make). Seems quite versatile - can be flavoured/deep fried/shallow fried/grilled/stewed/ etc etc.

Of course what I'd like to know is what it tastes like to a blood-in-the-flesh carnivore, as it might be a useful thing to experiment with when the food-faddists come around. I like my food to be inclusive and I don't offer multiple catering options when I have food-faddists in my party. It has to be great food that we can all eat together.

Anybody got any experience of Seitan? (Can't actually believe I've said this on Christmas Eve!)

SS

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Anybody got any experience of Seitan?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 15:10 »
I had a go at making this once in my veggie days.  It's a bit like tofu - tastes of nothing much but good at soaking up sauces and absorbing flavourings and has a good chewy texture that you tend to miss a bit when you don't eat meat.  It's lovely messy stuff to make too  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 15:51 »
Years ago you used to be able to buy bread rolls made of that.  Low calorie for dieters, it was called Energen I think.  Perhaps you can still get them.

chrissie B

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 13:24 »
energen rolls blast from the past , my aunty ate them all the time , had a funnt texture .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

catllar

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 14:16 »
Yeah Energen rolls! Tasted of nothing- chewed like cottonwool - very popular at one time - you have to ask yourself why,?

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.