Engine change for a Howard 700. Advice needed.

• 8 Replies

ihusker

Engine change for a Howard 700. Advice needed.
« on: March 14, 2009, 23:48 »
Hi all. I have a Howard 700 with a Villiers 2 stroke engine which goes sometimes when it feels like it. Some time ago I was given a Reliagen generator with a Honda G300 engine. The genny is u.s. but the engine is good, so I am thinking of fitting it to the rotavator. I've looked at it for a few months (as you do) and today took the plunge to remove the genny from the engine.I've managed to remove the outer casing with the coils and am left with the middle bit (commutator?) attached to the engine and I can't see a way of separating them. I've tried tapping it with a club hammer but it seems solid and I don't want to damage the crankshaft. I've Googled the name of the maker but nothing comes up so perhaps they are out of business. I'm just wondering if anyone has any info on these engines with regard to how the output shaft is connected. I have the service and maintenance sheets but it doesn't mention engine removal.  Any help and info would be a great help.              thanks      Ian

Gwiz

Re: Engine change for a Howard 700. Advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 11:27 »
Hi,
some of these are just Keyed on ( and then held on with about 10 years of rust) some have a long blot going right through the comutator (held in by about 10 years of rust) and some have a threaded end to the shaft that screws into the end of the crankshaft (held in by 10 years of rust)
sometimes they have no rust, but were asembled with a screw-locking "glue" like locktite, other than that, please feel free to substitute "10" for however many years old the generator was..... ;)

ihusker

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 15:47 »
Thanks for the info gwiz. It had a long bolt going through the middle of the shaft which I undid to get the outer casing off. I think I may have to resort to using an angle grinder to cut it off if everything else fails.  Thanks again,         Ian

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 17:26 »

A good proportion of engines in generator applications that I came across were non keyed and have taper crankshafts...the armature is pulled onto the taper by a long bolt or stud down the centre of the armature shaft....thus they tend to be tight.!!

"Dori"

ihusker

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 17:09 »
thanks Don. Yes it was a tapered shaft.I couldn't budge it with a puller, so I got the angle grinder out and cut it off. That was the easy bit. All I have to do now is take off the old Villiers engine and figure a way of fixing this one. Should keep me out of mischief for a while :). Thanks again for the advice. If I manage to get it all working properly, I'll stick a couple of photos up (if I can find out how to do it, that is).

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 18:43 »
Sounds blinking clever to me!

I was thinking only last night that if ever the Villiers Mk 7 on my Howard packed up I'd want to get a new engine it's place.... How would be another matter! ???
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

drythropple

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 21:51 »
Good luck with your engine change,I fitted a Kohler 8 hp to mine, I found the easiest way was to to machine the four lugs off the bellhousing and then made up an engine plate to  bolt onto the bellhousing and then counter drilled to fit your new engine mounting holes, the flywheel will need to be modified to suit your new engine shaft,good luck again

ihusker

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 23:25 »
Thanks drythropple. pleased to hear someone else has done it. At least I know it is possible. I haven't taken the old engine out yet so I didn't know what to expect. I think I will try to get hold of an old bellhousing rather than cut up the original. Then if things go pearshaped I can put the original back together.  I see there's a 700 just sold on E-bay that made over £420!!. Mind you I think they are a far better machine than the Gem.(that should stir a few people up ;)). I think perhaps I will have to cogitate for a few weeks before I take the plunge. Don't want to be too hasty.I might even get to use it in earnest one day. Thanks again.            Ian

drythropple

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 22:21 »
Im sure that "tillerparts will have a secondhand bellhousing for sale,he may even have one already converted for you

xx
Needed, engine for Howard 300

Started by GrannieAnnie on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 10:31
by Country Bill
xx
Howard 200 with JAP 5 engine

Started by Muckyhands on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2010, 08:40
by joyfull
xx
Howard Gem Jap Engine

Started by dcofm on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 09:37
by dcofm
xx
Howard 350/200 engine replacements

Started by captaincarbon on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 22:48
by captaincarbon

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 35 queries.