Gardeners world

• 16 Replies

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
Gardeners world
« on: March 05, 2010, 21:35 »
Having watched Gardeners World and watching they way they planted there seedling, eg toms. and sweet peas, I think I have made a complete mess of mine, with sweet peas I soked them overnight then planted them in 3 inch pots 3 to a pot, toms. planted them in seed trays then topped with vermiculite as I have with all my seeds. As for the Raspberrys that I planted in October don`t suppose I will ever see a fruit as I planted them straight into the ground then topdressed them with manure.  It looked like they where planting with so much they could have been in a stable.  This is my first year and after that I feel very deflated.
 :ohmy:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Gardeners world
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 21:38 »
Lupin

The first thing you will find after a year or two is ask two gardeners a question and get three different answers!

Each has their own way that works for them, and if its doesn't this year then something else will the next.  Please, please don't feel deflated, GW isn't the all knowing guru of gardening, planting and sowing.  They do what they feel works for them, as we all do.  Its the fun of the journey that counts!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 21:42 »
Your raspberries will be fine....don't worry about those :)

I also soak my sweetpeas first and I know that others on here do so as well, so don't worry about that either  :D

It sounds as if your tomato sowings will be fine as well..so don't worry about those either  :D

Don't worry.....be happy :lol: :lol:

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 21:45 »
Don`t worry about it there are lots of ways of getting plants to grow not just one right way.
You`ll be smelling sweet pea`s and eating raspberries even if you did not do it the textbook way first attempt.

Methods only advance by doing something a little bit different to the norm. :)

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 21:46 »
Thank you both ever so much, feel a bit better now.  I am having fun but suffer from my nerves at times lack of self confidence I guess.  Will let you know if things start moving on the germination side.  Many thanks once again. :)

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 21:48 »
Thanks 8doubles sorry I think your post was sent while I was sending mine.  thanks for encoragement, I really hope so.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 21:49 »
Ignore GW.

People here have to do it for themselves with no backroom armies.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 21:52 »
Having watched Gardeners World and watching they way they planted there seedling, eg toms. and sweet peas, I think I have made a complete mess of mine, with sweet peas I soked them overnight then planted them in 3 inch pots 3 to a pot,

I do mine the same as you with the sweet peas- mine have germinated and are growing fine, so no reason why yours shouldn't either. :D

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 21:55 »
Thanks DD and 1st time, I think I will watch it but take what they say with a pinch of salt, I prefer to take advise from people on here (real people) who do it for enjoyment not for TV and sponsers behind them. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 21:58 »
Thank you both ever so much, feel a bit better now.  I am having fun but suffer from my nerves at times lack of self confidence I guess.  Will let you know if things start moving on the germination side.  Many thanks once again. :)

Good!!

People who post here almost without exception do so in good faith because they believe they have learned the best way to do things (i.e. what works for them) and want to share that knowledge with others.

They (we!) don't aways agree and therefore can't all be right; you don't seem to have done anything wrong so far; you'll be fine, growing fruit and veg of course is about achieving results but also about enjoying the whole experience!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

pairofacres

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 22:05 »
I sat there watching it thinking "if those seeds are so tough shelled, why didn't she soak them overnight before planting them?". Maybe we know better than them  :)

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 22:07 »
Thank you Jay after reading everything on here for the last 4 months I feel I have learnt alot, in fact I gave a 28 year allotment holder a tip today which I picked up from here from DD he said " I just can grow tomatoes from seed, they just seem to bolt" I told him to put tin foil behind the tray so they do not stretch for the light.  He looked at me a bit strange but said he would give it ago.  Then another allotmenteir was talking to me he took on the plot 18month ago and said he got onion rot last year and didnt think he would be growing them again, I explained the 4 year crop rotation and he had never heard of it.

noshed

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 22:27 »
There you are then
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 09:33 »
Im just happy after watching it as the sweet peas I sowed last weekend I did  right, welll acording to allice that is, just hope the frost didnt kill them off  :unsure:
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

prakash_mib

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 22:49 »
Yesterday when i paid a customary visit to the plot I saw a member just leaving and we had a chat. He insisted that the season is atleast 3-4 weeks behind and asked me to hold putting anything apart from BB.
Finished admiring my winter onions and garlic and while returning I saw another member with barrow load of earlies. I asked him isnt it to early... he said ah that'l be allrit.  :ohmy:
funny but really confusing what to do if you are doing your first year and dont know when and how you start blazing!!
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

xx
Gardeners World

Started by clive f on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post March 03, 2007, 21:20
by muntjac
xx
gardeners world

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 22, 2019, 17:57
by rowlandwells
xx
Gardeners World Tomatoes

Started by Dave NE on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 12, 2015, 17:56
by Dave NE
xx
Gardeners World TV Program

Started by CJ on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 18:50
by shaun

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 36 queries.