a gardeners ditty!

• 11 Replies

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
a gardeners ditty!
« on: April 22, 2009, 21:43 »
well the allotment is cleared as promised in three weeks, now i have started planting.
so whats the story? you may well ask!
when i was young my dad was a gardner by hooby and part time trade.
Amongst the things i learnt from him whilst on his jobs was him saying to me things like" make hay while the sun still shines". but the most memorable was that of him saying that wherever he gardened a robin would show up sit on the sidelines and wait for him to dig, this kept him company. funnily enough a robin howed up yesterday and today and waited on the sidelines for me to dig! this is my favourite wild bird due to my dads stories and i like to think that maybe my dads spirit lives on within this bird to come and say hello to me now and again. sadly i lost a great part of my life in 990 but the last few days saw him return to me by way of the thing he loved the most other than his family!

what a week its been great! thanks for reading! :nowink: :nowink: :nowink: :nowink: :nowink:
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: a gardeners ditty!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 21:48 »
Gorgeous and Jealous!

I keep waiting for these friendly robins to appear in my garden and on my plot, but they stay away  :( :( :(
I did see one tonight which was quite distracting on my driving lesson! (sorry mr instructor)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

crowndale

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 06:54 »
I have one (well probably the offspring of a couple!) that visits me and waits for titbits when I'm digging at home but have only ever seen one once at the lottie.  but the one at home I see most days despite having three cats and a dog in the garden as well!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

JimS

• The Snail Whisperer
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 09:13 »
The last week or so, I have had a Robin that has grown very bold.

So much so, that I now stick my spare fork in the ground and he sits there waiting for me to turn over a worm. He jumps down, snatches the worm, flies off, then returns about 15 minutes later and perches on the handle again.

If the patch I am digging is 'worm free', he will go and root through the clumps in my barrow.

I find that it's such little pleasures that add to the attraction of having an allotment and make the day more memorable..

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 09:17 »
Aren't some memories wonderful?!  So pleased for you Alandkell, that you are finding such comfort and companionship from yours.
Good luck with the forthcoming crops, too.
cathangirl

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 20:09 »
thanx  for replies im reaaly chuffed with this week!

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 22:59 »
I had one visit last year, but he (or she) hasn't been back this year and I MISS him/her  :(
Rachael

lacewing

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 07:17 »
I also have a robin on my lotti, he sits in the tree near to where i'm digging and sings his little heart out, then when i move to another spot he will fly in to get his reward. My dad was also a great gardener, so who knows!!
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

matron

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 08:21 »
We have two robins on the plot which is unusual and one at home. They are lovely.

Nefertari

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 09:12 »
Hello all,

alandkell, I too have heard it said that 'spirits' come manifested as the robin.  I've had my lottie 5 weeks now so have done a lot of digging there.  From the start I had a robin visitor.  he will come and sit on the edge of the raised beds and wait for a nice juicy worm.

My plot is No1 right at the bottom of the site and bordering a farmers fiels - so it's quite quiet down there people-wise.  Anyone who is down there probably thinks I'm barking mad as I talk to the robin all the time. those who can't see it's him will think I'm talking to myself!

Sue33

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 09:35 »

I love robins, they are so beautiful, we have a couple at the bottom of our garden but they're not very sociable, very rarely see them on the bird tables, just hopping in and out of the borders  :)  the chickens quite like it if I do any digging or weeding in the garden, they all stand around craning their necks into the hole before I've even taken the fork out :)

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 18:37 »
to the mods can i change my name by lottypoll to (alandkell robin redbreast ) perhaps if so you could do that for me please in honour of the greatest dad ever! thanks! :blush: :D :D

xx
A tip for new gardeners.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 19:07
by prakash_mib
xx
Gardeners delight

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2016, 12:17
by Salmo
xx
guerrilla gardeners

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 28, 2008, 15:24
by Yabba
xx
gardeners delight

Started by trekkles on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2021, 23:24
by al78

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 34 queries.