what's happening to my tomatoes?

• 10 Replies

Kiwi

• Experienced Member
what's happening to my tomatoes?
« on: January 28, 2009, 00:19 »
Luckily I have a bumper crop this summer as this is happening!
We've had no rain for weeks but I am irrigating every night and I was wondering if water is lying on them then in the morning when the sun comes out they're getting cooked?
Is there anything I can do? I was thinking of spraying them with copper??
P1020478.jpg

Kiwi

• Experienced Member
Re: what's happening to my tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 00:29 »
you can see in this pic that where the water has been sitting on the top or wherever, they've gone all brown  :(
P1020479.jpg

vegmandan

• allotment-diary
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 00:37 »
I'm no tomato expert but If you're going to water at night just water at the base.

Don't get any water the fruit, as like you say you may get sun scald and also Halo Blight which you might have on the bottom left one ,or it may be Ghost spot or nothing at all. :blink:.

Just take any diseased or odd looking fruit off and water the base but if you can determine you do have Blight then you could spray I suppose.

OOPS after seing your latest pics It may well be Potato Blight.

Are all the leaves brown  ?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 00:41 by vegmandan »
Click my little globe to visit my Veg growing Website.

Kiwi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 01:37 »
no the leaves arent brown at all, they're all looking good and healthy.
I'll water just the base from now on. The ones in the second pic are all ones I've picked off over the last few days. ( so the mould may be from one that is a few days old.)Thanks

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 03:37 »
Definitely water from the bottom only and you'll both save on water and not affect the plants. All water droplets still on during the day will magnify the sun's rays and you'll get a burning on those spots. One fruit there looks cracked, which means too much water, and possibly why the others are rotting. Sounds like perhaps you're beeing a bit too generous with the water if anything.

Kiwi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 05:22 »
terrible when it's your own fault!

I was also wondering about blossom end rot, I was reading about it this afternoon and it seems t fit.
It's only one of the plants so fingers crossed it doesnt spread to more of them

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 08:21 »
Definitely not blossom end rot, (I've, errrrr - seen that before). Would have said blight had it not been for the fact the leaves are unaffected and given your current weather -  it looks a lot like it.

That leaves the watering option, but whatever it is , it's strange that it's just on the one plant if all have been treated in the same way.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kiwi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 08:24 »
DD if it is blight what can I do? Is it too late to save all the other tomatoes on the plant?
Definitely not on any of the other plants and 2 are in the same bed ( different varieties though) and one of the same variety is in another bed far away but it's fine.

coatesi

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 07:14 »
Kiwi
        As people have said, do not get the fruit damp when watering. The sun we have had lately will cook the fruit in no time. I grow mine in half tubs, the blue plastic one the cockies get their detergent in, and have them set up with drip irrigatation. Another good trick,but not automatic, is the 1.5 ltr coke bottle with the bottom cut out buried next to the plant. Just fill with water every evening and the plant never gets wet and remember to trim any lower leaves that look a bit brown.
coatesi
A man that gives up a freedom for the sake of security deserves niether.
 Abraham Lincoln.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 07:20 »
DD if it is blight what can I do? Is it too late to save all the other tomatoes on the plant?
Definitely not on any of the other plants and 2 are in the same bed ( different varieties though) and one of the same variety is in another bed far away but it's fine.

Don't worry about blight. From what you've said, I doubt that it's been the conditions for blight spores to propagate.

For them to do so you need what is called a "Smith Period", which is defined as..

"At least two consecutive days where min temperature is 10ÂșC or above and on each day at least 11 hours when the relative humidity is greater than 90%. "

I take it your conditions have not been as such?

I was hoping we wouldn't be talking about blight much this year, and we've not made it out of January!

Kiwi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 07:56 »
sadly we did have hat sort of weather for about 2 weeks! We had to go and buy an air conditioner! It was 36 degrees and about 90% humidity.
The humidity is a lot less now though thankfully.

I sprayed them all with copper today as the bottle said it would work for blight.
Oh and i fed them.
Cleared off all the fruit that had even the slightest smidge of brown on it.

Still just one plant and you're right DD why would it just be one when they've all been treated the same.

I think next year I'll plant them in a raised bed we have outwith the veggie patch that way I can irrigate the other stuff at night and do the watering of the tomatoes the way coatesi suggested.

xx
What's happening with Raspberries

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2021, 15:36
by Hampshire Hog
xx
What's happening to my seedlings?

Started by Coldfeet on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 12:30
by Coldfeet
xx
What's happening to my Brassicas?

Started by borderowl on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 18, 2014, 12:14
by DD.
xx
Nothing happening in the propagator

Started by SAF on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 22:03
by Trillium

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 38 queries.