Moving three cats to a new home.

• 10 Replies

Goosegirl

Moving three cats to a new home.
« on: June 16, 2019, 13:01 »
We are selling our home due to health issues and have found another one which would be ideal and it has a conservatory and a lovely garden out the back. If it all works out what is the best way to deal with this?
Daphne is our beautiful, trusting and loving tortie. I'm sure she would be ok because we'll be there with her.
Weasel is a black and silver female tabby who is quite laid back and more of an indoor cat but she should be ok.
Amber is a ginger and white cat who sleeps on my bed at night but she's so scared of anything that disrupts her little lost and lonely world and, despite all my efforts I've never managed to connect with her. Sometimes she'll happily sit on my lap outside for a little while, if I walk past her she often runs away from me, and I don't know what to do for the best.

We'll put cat litter trays and dishes of water with some food in the conservatory and a couple of cardboard boxes to sleep in so they can feel safe but will leave the door open in case they want to come to us whenever they want. It's Amber that I don't know what to do with. Would it be a kindness to re-home her or have her put down as I just want the best for her.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

Re: Moving three cats to a new home.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 14:55 »
I moved my late mother’s 2 cats 3 years ago to here with the intention of rehoming them elsewhere. They were both very timid, very much like you describe your Amber. When they arrived in their carry baskets I took them up to a spare bedroom & left them in the baskets for an hour or so to settle after the 2 hour car journey, then I put out their litter tray & food (luckily I had an ensuite for them to use, they stayed in there for a couple of weeks to really settle(bear in mind they didn’t know me & I had never been able to get near Lilly at my mother’s. I obviously visited them every day in there, I then started giving them access to the parts of the house I didn’t mind them in for short periods. After 4 weeks, Lilly escaped from an open window!! Thanks hubby. I eventually found her when she crossed the road in front of my car a few roads away,7 weeks later & not looking very well! I nursed her back to health 🙄. Ollie the other one started to go outside after 5/6 weeks & they now both sleep in the utility room, get fed in there, I’ve managed to do away with any litter trays, which my mother never managed to do (my garden suffers for it as do my planters, no dig doesn’t seem to have made an impression on them 😂). Lilly now spends lots of time outside which she hardly ever did at mums, preferring to be on her bed day & night.
They have come along way in 3 years, they’d be better off in a home where people want them but I could never send them off to a rehoming place.
Long way of saying I’m sure they will all adapt to your new home if you just take it easy, you might need to consider sedating Amber for a few days before & after the move just to make it less traumatic for her& keep her in so she doesn’t go hidey before you move.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 15:41 »
Have you tried Feliway to calm nervous cats ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 16:01 »
Yes, and it made no difference at all to Molly, she was still scared of everything - including me if was not where she expected me to be.  :wacko:
I gave up using them and she's still  just the same after 5 years now. There's no hope  ::) :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 18:27 »
Perhaps GG might like to try it for her cats. 

I know John's daughter, Cara, who was heavily involved in cat rehoming (that's why John has 6 cats  ::) ), used it a lot for nervous cats and had good results.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 21:08 »
Yes of course it might help with GG's move, I was just saying it didn't calm my cat.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 21:16 »
Cats are individuals  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 09:30 »
I transported my daughter's two cats on their 2hr journey to their new home, and Feliway spray totally blissed out one of them and seemingly had no effect on the other, so yes, it is very individual, but worth trying, and trying before you move too, not just on the day.
She had a plug in thingy as well as the spray and used both at the new house too.

GG, if Amber is nervous by nature, she will be always be like that, even if she is rehomed, so keeping her with you will probably be less stressful for her overall that her going somewhere she doesn't know anyone at all. If they are going to be in the conservatory, Just make sure there are enough high up places for them each to sit separately, as well as enough individual hidey holes, and individual litter trays too if they are not used to all using the same one. Sounds obvious I know but is important to them
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 12:29 »
Thank you for your kind replies. I'm wondering if we just bite the bullet and bring her with the other two because at least she knows them both although Weasel does have a go at her if she can. I will have a word with "The One who looks after cats" and see what comes through. Here's a pic of her to show you what a lovely cat she is and all we want is the best for her.
Amber.jpg

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 13:23 »
She does look gorgeous!

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 11:43 »
She is a pretty cat and very loving in her own way. You know when cats give you a loving nip, well she used to bite me really hard and drew blood but my reactions have slowed that down to some extent that she rarely does it unless she gets a lot of strokings which gets her excited, and on the odd occasion when she's got really stressed over something she's had a wee inside (one time it was on OH's suitcase and we weren't going anywhere) but we'll take her and hope for the best. I've written a poem about her so here it is.

HERE BE ALIENS

This morning I tapped my paw on you when I heard you stirring. I hope you didn’t mind.
I was just checking you were still the same person you were last night.
You are still you? That’s ok then.

The cat flap is my nemesis. Is something waiting for me outside?
Whose scent is this? It’s not mine that I left just an hour before.
I only turned my back for a moment and they snuck into my secret garden.

I go back inside to check out that my food, my warmth and loving home is still there.
The same as it was when I left it earlier.
Have they taken everything that gives me a bit of peace?

Last night I heard a little noise. Something was intruding in my small and lonely lost world.
It took a lot to leave my comfort zone but I had to check it out.
I found nothing amiss but I know something strange was prowling out there.

Just to be safe on the safe side, I went to a secret hiding-place where they could never find me.
Where? I’m not telling. You might still be one of them. You could get me at any time.
I have to be on my guard in case they come and take me to a strange place.

I know the many scents of other beings but these ones don’t belong here.
Alien eyes follow me wherever I go. Nowhere feels safe to me.
I need someone to trust and help me escape their ever-spying eyes.

Someone lets me lie with them under their downy duvet.
In its warm dark cushioning cave I can feel safe for a moment or two
Then it gets too much. I can’t see who might be waiting out there for me.

All was peaceful then you made a sudden movement.
What disturbed you? Are you keeping something from me?
Please don’t let them get me now that I have found a place that makes me happy.

When I look at you closely you say I have eyes like an alien.
As far as I can tell, yours look the same as they always have.
I’m not sure now. Are you the alien or am I?

xx
cats one rule for dogs one for cats

Started by traacyken on Pets without Feathers

60 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 22:25
by mumofstig
xx
Cats

Started by dookie on Pets without Feathers

84 Replies
Last post December 02, 2009, 00:07
by Paul Plots
xx
Who would have cats ?

Started by spottymint on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 08:20
by composthappens
xx
Advice about cat moving house

Started by sunshineband on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 19:24
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 47 queries.