Meet our almost adopted cat.

• 9 Replies

Goosegirl

Meet our almost adopted cat.
« on: February 06, 2019, 14:15 »
In early Autumn we kept seeing a cat on the back patio so OH put some dried food down. I don't think a Dyson hoover on full blast would have taken it up as fast! This carried on for a few weeks then it started coming into the house on the odd occasion to eat our cats' food. Ah! Since then we saw it both mornings and afternoons on a more regular basis so I sat down with it, talked quietly, and even managed to give it a little gentle stroke now and then. It seemed to like all this and became more and more confident, so it began to have a look upstairs, then would come down to sit under a chair in the main room to see what's going on and have the odd nap or two. I can now tickle under its ear which it enjoys and even stops eating while I do it. When its finished it likes to sit in the doorway to watch me on my PC (see attached pic), stays for a while then goes. It's very vocal and when it comes in it sounds just like its saying "hello" and on leaving it seems to say "Ta for my food. I'm going now." I'm pretty sure it's a tom but I named it Jessie after a name mentioned in Thora Hird's film "Lost for Words" in case it was a female. I never realised how similar it is to Postman Pat's cat! Two of our cats avoid it but Daphne the tortie tolerates it most of the time and has sometimes eaten side by side with it. To be able to communicate with a cat is so special and to gain its confidence is a wonderful thing.
Jessie 2 (387 x 600).jpg
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

Re: Meet our almost adopted cat.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 17:26 »
The saying "cats choose you, not the other way round", springs to mind! What a lovely face that cat has!

A few years ago, we took on two cats from a local Blue Cross. They told us that they were brothers, but clearly they weren't, but we didn't care.

One, Rollo, was boisterous to the point of criminal vandalism, the other, Ripley, just timid and extremely quiet.

Ripley took about a year to even sit near us, while Rollo would demand attention most of the time, and sit on my desk and keyboard while I typshfjjvn,,efd...

The best evening was when I was lying down on the floor by the fire, thinking of not much, when Ripley came and just sat quietly next to me, and started the softest purring I'd ever heard him do! Rollo loved it all!

Ripley had decided to join in...

lettice

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 08:15 »
Have you checked its microchip, a vet will do that for free if it has one, might be able to find where it has come from?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:17 by lettice »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 10:14 »
What a sweet cat, and lovely white paws.   My Son once had a cat that did the same, and he found out it belonged to some people a couple of roads away.   It stayed with Son more and more.  Eventually Son moved from London to York, and approached the cat owner to say they were moving away.   The cat owner said, if you like take him with you, he obviously prefers yours to ours.   So Son did.   The Cat was very happy in the big old rectory and huge gardens, and lived to a very old age.
Referring to Gg's thread about listening to silence etc, wouldn't it be lovely to hear what the cats are saying to us and each other !!   Thanks for those lovely posts, and Growster, don't blame the cat   :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 11:18 »
I wouldn't have dreamed of blaming him, Mrs B - he was a beautiful boy with a stunning coat and we loved him!

He was also the youngest cat in the world to get kidney failure, and went downhill very quickly after that...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 16:12 »
That is the worse thing about our lovely pets - when they become ill.   Mrs Bouquet

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 12:53 »
My neighbour is pretty sure he comes from a farm down the lane because she and they shared a litter a while back (can't remember the full story) so he's obviously got at least two homes on the go. His coat is quite thick, soft and always beautifully clean. I doubt he'd be micro-chipped, and never having picked him up as yet, I don't think it's worth the scars or the upset it would cause him, but as long as he's ok that's fine. We'll shortly pop a worming tablet in his food to keep him fit and well.

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 20:16 »
What a sweet cat, and lovely white paws.   My Son once had a cat that did the same, and he found out it belonged to some people a couple of roads away.   It stayed with Son more and more.  Eventually Son moved from London to York, and approached the cat owner to say they were moving away.   The cat owner said, if you like take him with you, he obviously prefers yours to ours.   So Son did.   The Cat was very happy in the big old rectory and huge gardens, and lived to a very old age.
Referring to Gg's thread about listening to silence etc, wouldn't it be lovely to hear what the cats are saying to us and each other !!   Thanks for those lovely posts, and Growster, don't blame the cat   :D  Mrs Bouquet

I wish someone would take on my mothers 2 cats, their still here nearly 3 years on!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 15:35 »
He appeared again this morning for a good feed so I stroked him and actually got some purrs from him. It sounds like a squeaky bicycle but was so lovely to hear.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 21:03 »
Magic fingers for a lovely stroke, GG...

Well known to break the ice at parties!

Look after that boy, he's a beauty!

xx
I've been adopted - kind of!

Started by Casey76 on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 12:45
by Caralou
xx
Our cat adopted us, got pregnant and now we have kittens

Started by peanut on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 17:43
by grendel
thumbup
Meet Taz

Started by GTFC197 on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post December 17, 2013, 18:35
by evie2
clip
meet stanley

Started by finleyfreyaseth on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post March 03, 2014, 11:45
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 45 queries.