Cleaning / deodorising the patio

• 7 Replies

Lardman

Cleaning / deodorising the patio
« on: June 13, 2018, 18:13 »
Max likes to mark the wheelie bins and it's left the area they sit on rather wiffy.  In the past I've sprayed some Jeys around now and then to sort of clean it but in the hot weather it's getting pretty bad. It's right by the neighbours kitchen window and I feel I should make more of an effort and use something with a better clean smell.

Can anyone recommend a good hard surface cleaner I can use on the concrete and the bins both to clean them and to freshen the area without making it smell chemically.  I don't really want to get the pressure washer out on a weekly basis but a sprayer and a hose I could just about manage.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleaning / deodorising the patio
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 10:19 »
You could try baking soda, also sold as bicarbonate of soda.  Its cheap, doesn't smell and is effective.  There is loads out there on the net about using it, but you basically mix it with water and go.

It can leave a bit of a white residue, which people usually say spray with vinegar to dissolve, though Max might provide the acid wash to do that bit for you  :lol:

snow white

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 18:52 »
 I would use good old fashioned diluted bleach.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 09:09 »
I've tried the bicarb on small areas before and didn't find it much use I've used bleach a few times but the smell isn't the good, I've not tried the scented stuff though so I'll grab some of that, I did see swarfega do a hard surface cleaner too might get some of that also as it's really ripe out there now.  :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 10:44 »
You might need something chemical to do the initial clean then.  You can get disinfectants made for kennel cleaning.  They are designed for cleaning concrete floors and removing the odours of dog waste.  There are loads, but a link to get you started.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073TXZ52V/ref=asc_df_B073TXZ52V53186814/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22122&creativeASIN=B073TXZ52V&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218677846051&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8794203709669241665&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045703&hvtargid=pla-422016959424

meriad

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 14:04 »
A bit very late to this but having cats of my own I've found a solution of biological washing powder and surgical spirits diluted with water seems to work best.   The enzymes in the biological washing powder help break down the enzymes in the urine and the surgical spirits (available from Boots / Superdrug / Amazon etc) sanitises it more as it's quite a strong solution.

I definitely wouldn't use bleach as many cats are actually attracted by the smell and end up urinating on that same spot to cover up the bleach scent.

madcat

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 15:34 »
I found Simple Solution Stain and Odour removers worked well with cat piss.  We had an old lady who was inclined to spray where she was when she needed to go.  It has a sweet chemical smell which disperses quite quickly taking the offending smell with it.  A cat breeder put us onto it.  They do a patio version https://www.petmeds.co.uk/Simple-Solution-Stain-Odour-Remover/p/I9106157?=googleshopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-oSCtcrO3AIVBrvtCh1RyA-0EAQYBSABEgKFf_D_BwE, available all over the web.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 18:07 »
I bought the ones New Shoots suggested, they're not bad if you keep on top of things but they lack lasting fragrance.  I've been using them on the concrete and both the inside and outside of the bins - not bad.

clip
Tired of asking you to tidy the patio.

Started by Lardman on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 08:14
by Auntiemogs
xx
Cleaning pond filters

Started by RichardA on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post July 21, 2013, 09:50
by spottymint

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 37 queries.