pond cleaners

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

pond cleaners
« on: April 19, 2018, 15:49 »
we have a fairly large pond 8ft/6ft  although we have two pond pumps going 24/7 with filter light to clean the water although we have renewed the bulbs the water is not perfectly clear as I would have expected   

ive been told you can buy a product called em mudballs from harrod horticultural but im a bit unsure about using this product so has  anyone used em mudballs or any alternative to improve pond water as i said im unsure about any product because i don't whant to harm the fish

and advise on this matter would be much appreciated thank you

snowdrops

Re: pond cleaners
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 18:03 »
More plants to get the eco balance right might be better
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Paul Plots

Re: pond cleaners
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 18:56 »
we have a fairly large pond 8ft/6ft  although we have two pond pumps going 24/7 with filter light to clean the water although we have renewed the bulbs the water is not perfectly clear as I would have expected   

When you say "clean the water" do you mean it is green due to algal growth? I'm guessing you do.

My son built a 10 foot square pond for koi carp then moved leaving me the job of looking after it. We have a pretty hefty pump and filter running day and night and a UV light which should have been switched on earlier in the year.... add blanket-weed and it has been / is fun. (?)

Blanket weed is now under control through use of chemicals and frequent cleaning of the entire filter system (hate that job) but an alternative for removal of green water is to try barley straw as well as keeping the UV light running (costly).

A bale of 'barley straw' in the water apparently produces "something or other" that consumes the green algae. Personally not tried it but may soon need to research it and have ago.. although there has been a big improvement in water clarity it would be nice to see more of the flipping great fish that surface like Moby Dick at feeding time.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
How to look after a koi pond?

Started by nuzuki on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 21:28
by sunshineband
clip
In need of pond advice please

Started by Beetie on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2013, 15:46
by Elvira
xx
pond advise

Started by massa on Pets without Feathers

15 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 14:02
by 8doubles
xx
Anyone know anything about pond pumps?

Started by coco on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 10:41
by coco

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 35 queries.