Bedding/garden waste...

• 6 Replies

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
Bedding/garden waste...
« on: November 12, 2013, 22:08 »
Hello everyone, i have question about the chooks' bedding waste, what do u guys do with the bedding waste with their droppings offcourse. I used to put it in brown bin with other garden waste such as grass cuts and hedge trimmings etc. but now council have stopped taking them what do i do with them? I dont do much gardening so dont knw how the composting works..

Any ideas?

BabbyAnn

Re: Bedding/garden waste...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 22:24 »
I have an allotment plot so I take it and just add it to the compost heap.  Composting is really quite easy - but it does better if there is a mix of waste rather than a big pile of one sort (like the bedding)  So put your kitchen waste in (fruit and veg peelings, outer leaves) grass cuttings, and keep layering it on top.  As the bedding could be a bit on the dry side, you'll need to moisten it with water so that the worms, fungi and soil bacteria can get to work.  To stop it going sour or stalling, every now and again (more a spring and summer job), turn the whole thing over so that the raw stuff ends up on the ground, and the action of turning incorporates air into the compost pile.  The chicken poop will add to the nutrients and before you know it, you'll have lovely compost to use as mulch round plants and trees or dig into soil to enrich it.  Composting can slow down in winter as temperatures drop and the microorganisms stop working, but generally picks up again in the spring months.

bravemurphy

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 08:13 »
I dig trenches where the brassica are to grow and put about 3" of it in fill it up firm it and plant them on top, they love it.

splash101

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 10:18 »
You dont need to do a lot of gardening but you can still compost the chickens waste.

I have 3 compost bins (2 huge home made ones and a dalek one) and just keep filling one up. Straw takes longer to break down but i dont use straw so not a problem. When that one is full i cover it in a plastic sheet (old feed / compost bags cut open) weighed down with a couple of bricks. Then forget about it.
The plastic sheet helps keep the moisture in.
Turn / dig over the compost now and then if you wish, i dont bother because its in there 2 years before i come to use and my back cant cope with digging. The dalek bin is easier to turn over as it has a low door so you take from the bottom and put on the top.
When your 1st one is full just do exactly the same for the next one.

3 bins might seem excessive but i put the waste from the aviary and rabbit in there too. I have a low maintenance garden so there isnt too much garden waste, mostly leaves that i rake up, clippings, veg peeling etc. I dont have grass.
When it comes to emptying the compost bin, i leave it in big piles where i want it spreading and the chickens do the rest. I did my garden is low maintenance!

If i wasnt into composting and stuck, i would probably take it to the tip. I'm not sure if you are allowed to.

One thing about our tip is if you are a lady and are struggling to cart the garden waste bags up the steps to empty into the containers, all the tip workers disappear and your on your own. Even if you were 93 with a dodgy hip they wouldnt help. However, if you were to pull up with a bag of scrap metal they all come out of the wood work and help you no end in case you might have some hidden treasure they can snaffle and sell on. Shame on the lot of them!

Best check with your council though.

Debbieta

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 14:42 »
We compost ours, but my brother has a smallish garden, so got in touch with the local allotment holders and they now get a call every so often and come and collect for their allotment!!
Might be worth a try

grinling

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 22:25 »
mine can go in household waste, poo goes in compost bin but sawdust goes in incinerator bin with straw.

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 03:52 »
Thanks for replies everyone. I will keep filling the bin in have few allotments near me will ask them otherwise put it my garden somewhere. :)

xx
fish waste

Started by leebou on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 19:12
by leebou
xx
chicken waste

Started by buttony22 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 08:58
by Sassy
xx
what to to with chicken waste?

Started by gcb on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 21:48
by Elcie
xx
using up waste from the plot

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 08, 2007, 19:26
by Foxy

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 33 queries.