Advice needed on broody hens claws

• 5 Replies

Kathie

• Experienced Member
Advice needed on broody hens claws
« on: July 09, 2010, 14:29 »
Hi all,
Our bantam has been incarcerated in a broody coop for weeks now, her chicks are 4 weeks old.  Today my husband has noticed her claws are very long and wants to cut them, can we clip or cut them or do we just leave her,  she will probably be freed next week as her chicks are mainly feathered now?  Please help
Thanks
Kathie
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Casey76

Re: Advice needed on broody hens claws
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 14:37 »
You haven't let her and her chicks out into a pen/enclosure all that time? or am I misunderstanding?

Chicks can go outside with mum (in a safe enclosure) from day one - even if the weather is adverse.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 14:46 »
Hi Casey76,  Thanks for your swift reply, not sure I understand your question. They were in a broody coop with access to outside from day one.  We have moved them into a bigger coop with a larger area of grass for them to grub around in.  I'm feeling a little sick right now, I have done the wrong thing?

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 15:02 »
Sorry, it was my misunderstanding.  Your post sounded like your broody and her chicks had been in a coop for 4 weeks.

I'm not sure what you mean by "she will probably be freed next week as her chicks are mainly feathered now" chicks can stay with their mum for as long as 12 weeks before mum decides to go back to the main flock.  I wouldn't separate them forcibly before 6 weeks though.

My broody has a 6 week old chick and only this week is the chick becoming more independent and straying from mum for a little while.

As for clipping her claws, as long as they are not curling or twisted, she will wear them down naturally as she is scratching around.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 15:10 »
 sorry I think it was my using the word "incarcerated" that led to the misunderstanding.  Mini, the hen, has slightly curling claws.  They are on grass, so I'm not sure if this will help her to wear them down.  All the chicks have been quite independent for over a week now and we feel so sorry for her being held in chicken prison that we thought she would be able to get her freedom back once chicks are feathered.

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 15:57 »
At that age they can all be integrated back with the flock, but mum and chicks will probably go back and sleep in their broody coop of their own accord.  Mum will protect the chicks from the other chickens, just be mindful when they are first let free to make sure mum isn't bullied by the others.

xx
Broody Hen - Advice needed please!

Started by Tazzy on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 09:46
by Pretty Chick
xx
Advice needed for Broody Bantam please!

Started by Missie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 11:50
by joyfull
xx
Advice needed on hatching with a broody hen please...

Started by Chuckiemum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2010, 14:41
by Chuckiemum
xx
About to hatch from broody hen - misc. advice needed

Started by LivvyW on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 22:42
by joyfull

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 37 queries.