Layers pelletts rejected

• 9 Replies

eggbertina

Layers pelletts rejected
« on: July 08, 2010, 13:02 »
Newbie!! Bought 3 POL ISA Browns 10 days ago and they wont eat the "Countrywide" layers pellets I've bought from local animal feed supplier.  For fear of them starving I've given them mixed corn and scraps later in the day - but the pellets are flatly refused.  I've tried mixing them with other things - no luck.  Have others had trouble with this brand?  What brand of pellet is recommend that will get them eating?  Help please!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Layers pelletts rejected
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 13:19 »
could you not ask the person who you got the chickens from what they were fed on? Mine love Allen and Page organic but others have tried their hens on this and found they don't like it, so it really does depend on what they are used to, and also if they prefer pellets or mash.  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

eggbertina

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 13:33 »
Yes - I did ask the breeding farm and they told me they bought their pellets in bulk and weren't sure of 'brand'.  They did however say that they once bought pelletts from a cheap and cheerful supplier nearby and their chickens wouldn't eat them either.  Evidently my new birds were on pelletts and not mash when I bought them.  I thought I may go for something special to tempt them - but I'm not sure now you tell me that others have experience of the organic pelletts you use also being rejected.  Think I may go off to the feed supplier and have a word and perhaps get some 'samples' of other brands to try!! Gosh -  I wasn't expecting picky chickens!!!  But I do want healthy happy chickens  ::)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 13:56 »
Heavens, what fuss pots?!  Mine will eat anything and everything.  I try to get ex-batt pellets, but can't always source them, so just have to get what I can.  But they've never refused food :lol:.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 15:41 »
They'll eat it if there's nothing else. Stop giving them scraps and corn and they'll eat it  :)

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 17:32 »
They'll eat it if there's nothing else. Stop giving them scraps and corn and they'll eat it  :)

Ditto .

If they get hungry they will eat them.

eggbertina

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 22:08 »
Thank you everyone .... guess I'm being a bit over anxious .... so now I'm being mean :( and haven't fed them any extras today.  I did get a small bag of some different pelletts to try from my feed supplier this afternoon - but they've turned their beaks up at those too.  It's a battle of wills!!

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 22:20 »
I agree with the others. They're probably just feeling a bit unsettled with being moved to a new home, but there's nothing wrong with the pellets, they will eat them when they're hungry.

ehs284

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 08:00 »
You could try a little Poultry Spice with the pellets.

eggbertina

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 11:05 »
Ooooh - good idea! Will do ..... thank you!!  They are starting to look a bit dejected  :wub: and I'm trying hard to resist giving in with lettuce and other treats!

xx
Rejected Duckling Help....

Started by Lakisha354 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 10:30
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
rejected chick

Started by johen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 11:31
by joyfull
question
layers or a mix of corn and layers?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 12:44
by jamima
xx
New layers

Started by jaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 17:50
by andreadon

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 36 queries.