Broodies and age ?

• 4 Replies

8doubles

Broodies and age ?
« on: July 16, 2009, 11:52 »
Do hens get less broody as they get older, if so at about what age do they decide to give up the sitting on eggs buisiness . I know each hen has its own foibles and you shouldn`t generalise too much but i`m wondering how long to leave it before putting a few fertile eggs under one to keep egg production ticking along as the old hens laying tails off.

How old is your eldest broody ?

snowflake

• Experienced Member
Re: Broodies and age ?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 12:18 »
I think in general if they can lay a clutch of eggs they will go broody.
half mine are silkies so broody machines my silkie X's are the same think my oldest ones were 5/6 years old still laying and being broody. what breed or X breeds do you have some may be different?

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 09:45 »
We have just the 3 hens all about 18 months old , a rhode island red , light sussex who is showing signs of broodiness and a speckled who has been broody most of her life but is laying ok.
We let them free range most of the time but need to keep the flock as small as possible so we still have a lawn left.

All the chicks i`ve reared in the past have been from incubators so my knowledge  of broodies is limited.Might let the speckled sit half a dozen next year, if she`s in the mood.

Thanks for the info Snowflake. :)         

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:57 »
Putting eggs under a broody is a lot easier than using an incubator, no turning, or temperature or humidity to worry about or even power cuts. Plus no heat lamp and they can mix with the other hens at a far earlier age as mum will defend them - mine defends her little brood against a 14 month old mastiff  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Vember

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 10:01 »
My oldest two broodies are pure Light Sussex and they will be 6 at the end of this year :D
One has just raised me 4 Runners and the other is looking after some calls at the moment :D

They'll go again later in the summer Cassy did the turkey for me in september last year ::)

Sarah :)

xx
can you have 2 broodies together?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 14:07
by jobson336
xx
Broodies

Started by Fraggle on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 22:52
by Cluckyclaire
xx
Too many broodies!

Started by Cabbie37 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 20:24
by mdueal
xx
'setting' broodies

Started by treacleminer on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 23:08
by Legbar

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 39 queries.