My new plot

• 2 Replies

stentman

• Experienced Member
My new plot
« on: September 23, 2009, 20:46 »
If this in the wrong place then MODs my apologies.

I have just taken over my first allotment plot 25 x 10. It is currently all grass but closely mown. It is one of around 30 similar plots (all in use for the first time this year 2009) and was part of an old pre-school childrens playground so has been trampled by tiny feet and mowers for years and years, well compacted would be a good description. I guess the ground has never been fed or much cared for other than mowing in all that time, but from reading other threads I am fortunate to have avoided brambles, nettles and the like. I am a keen gardener and have managed to grow veg at home in small amounts for years but this appears to be a whole new ball game. Rotivators, crop rotation, azadas, wireworm, skip diving, club root, carrot root fly, etc. Still at least I have all winter to get ready.  First things into my new raised beds an autumn planting of onions after that who knows. Sweetcorn, spuds, carrots, beetroot, beans and salad stuff are already in the plan as they are things I have grown before but I do want to try something new that I have never grown before.   
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

Elcie

Re: My new plot
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 20:56 »
Congratulations on getting your first plot, it really is an exciting time.  Think it is a great idea to get some stuff growing there, onions are perfect.  You could also try some overwintering broad beans and garlic.  Will keep you motivated to go down and visit in the winter  :)

stentman

• Experienced Member
Re: My new plot
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 18:21 »
, well compacted would be a good description.

Boy was that an understatement it has taken over an hour to "dig" an area 3 feet by 2 feet to a depth of around 6 inches. Plenty of stones in the ground to, not irregular stuff like building spoil but nice round smooth pebbles about tennis ball size and smaller dozens and dozens of the blighters. I have a soil griddle to remove them from each spadeful dug but it's going to take a very long time. Manual labour and some hard graft would seem the only fool proof way of shifting them. I guess even a rotivator is going to struggle chomping through such a stony mix. Any tips??

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
NEW PLOT

Started by ash777 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 22, 2009, 10:42
by Elcie
xx
New Plot

Started by Druid048 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 15:44
by senrab_nhoj

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 38 queries.