Slow Cooker

• 53 Replies

noshed

Re: Slow Cooker
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 21:56 »
Well the experiment worked. It was lovely although I had to thicken it a bit, I always put too much water in.
I think this works well with skinned chicken but beef might not be so good. I'll try anyway.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Poolfield2

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 20:51 »
Thanks for letting us know

noshed

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 20:12 »
Liver and bacon.
Liver from the butchers, smoken streaky from the butchers, onions, toms from the plot.
Chop onions and fry with bacon until golden.
Put in slow cooker.
Coat liver slices with seasoned flour and fry for a minute each side. Put in slow cooker.
Skin toms and put in liver/ flour pan. Put a bit more flour in and an oxo cube or similar. Stir until a bit thick.
Cook on low for ages.
Serve with spuds and cabbage.
Absolutely gorgeous and very cheap.

Poolfield2

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 23:38 »
Thanks for posting but hell will freeze over before I can make myself eat liver :lol: I might substitute precooked beans :lol: :lol:

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 08:44 »
I don't very often pre fry meat now, can't see the point - you're just using more fuel and TIME  ;)  .  Even mince - as long as it's all cooked for 6 -8 hours or so I find it's OK. I usually skin the chicken anyway, and the mince is usually bolognaised or has gravy granules added for thickening, so it colours it anyway. I've even cooked a small whole chicken in one and it was fine  :)

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 14:46 »
Liver and bacon.
Liver from the butchers, smoken streaky from the butchers, onions, toms from the plot.
Chop onions and fry with bacon until golden.
Put in slow cooker.
Coat liver slices with seasoned flour and fry for a minute each side. Put in slow cooker.
Skin toms and put in liver/ flour pan. Put a bit more flour in and an oxo cube or similar. Stir until a bit thick.
Cook on low for ages.
Give us some quantities and I'll pinch it for Frugal Recipes!
Val
Recipes Galore!

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 14:55 »
I've found that if I don't fry onions before they go in the slow cooker the resulting dish just tastes of stewed onions.  Slightly beefy stewed onions, perhaps, or spicy stewed onions - but still overwhelmingly and inescapably mainly stewed onions.  Is it just me (or my onions), or has anyone else found the same? 

I've also been wondering whether putting dried onions in the slow cooker might be a convenient alternative if I haven't got time to be frying vegetables the previous evening (I'm definitely not going to be frying onions at 7:30am in my pyjamas).  Has anyone tried them?

noshed

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 15:28 »
This is a more detailed version of the liver and bacon recipe:

Serves 4
About  6 slices of liver from the butchers (you get nice slices as opposed to the little slivers you get in supermarkets).
4 slices of smoked streaky bacon.
3 or 4 large tomatoes.
2 or 3 medium onions.

Chop onions and fry gently with bacon until golden.
Put in slow cooker.
Coat liver slices with seasoned (white pepper) flour and fry, just for a minute each side. (Any longer risks a leathery result).
Put in slow cooker.
Skin tomatoes by scoring once, putting in a bowl and covering with boiling water for a minute or two. Drain and fill bowl with cold water. The skins will come off in your hands.
Chop tomatoes and add to liver/ flour pan. Put a bit more flour in and an oxo cube or similar. Stir until it thickens a bit.
Add to cooker and stir. (You can add things like a teaspoon of made mustard or some Worcester sauce at this stage, or even a bit or red wine or sherry if you've got any loafing about).
Leave for at least 4 hours on low - suits a day when you're going up the allotment for some digging.

Casey76

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 23:06 »
My favourite recipe...

500g braising steak
3 medium potatoes
1 small swede (pomegranate sized)
3 medium carrots
2 small leeks
2 medium onions
Handful of small mushrooms
2 beef boullion cubes
Small bottle (250ml) red wine

Cube the beef
Dice veg to about the same size
Put potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker, then swede and carrots.  Meat next, then leeks and onions.
Make boullion up to 1pint with boiling water and pour over.  Add wine. Put mushrooms on the top

Cook for 8 hours.

Eat from big stone bowls with plenty of crusty bread to sop up juices.

Or...

Substitute beef for lamb (e.g. shoulder).  Switch beef boullion for lamb and add a 2 tsp of mint sauce to the boullion.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 23:16 »
I did that (without the wine :( ) today but it was still luverly.
I added a twig of rosemary, thyme and basil tied together for easy removal as well :)
I ate one part and the rest is boxed up and in the freezer, for days when i can't be bothered :lol:

Like the idea of the lamb and mint though :D

Casey76

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 23:24 »
Funny, but I can't do herbs.  I like spices, but with herbs that's all I end up tasting.

Except mint, I like mint.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 13:30 »
I've never attempted curry other than a heated up jar so these recipes are brilliant.  Will have a go. 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

wighty

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 15:19 »
We bought one recently after an earlier thread about them.  Wouldn't be without it now.  Smell of Oxtail in Port wafting through the house at this very moment.  Should be a cheap meal   as the Oxtail was reduced in Morrisons and the port is last Christmas' leftovers.

chrissie B

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 19:41 »
i find with the slow cooker you dont need so much fluid as its all kept in while cooking .love my slowcooker great for steaming the Christmas pud no steam filled kitchens
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Sue33

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 09:15 »

I must be doing something wrong, whenever I put mushrooms in the slow cooker they tend to go slimey and makes me heave  :ohmy:  do u leave them till the last half hour or so??

xx
Slow cooker - which one

Started by BigPaddy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 17:55
by Yorkie
xx
slow cooker

Started by greenjay on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post May 20, 2021, 10:05
by Aled
xx
Slow cooker

Started by Springlands on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

44 Replies
Last post March 10, 2012, 16:40
by madcat
xx
Help with slow cooker

Started by Spana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

43 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 14:14
by tadpole

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 40 queries.