Allotment soil

• 7 Replies

upert

• Experienced Member
Allotment soil
« on: June 26, 2018, 21:12 »
On our site a gardener left last year but appears to have sold soil on their plot. To me this seems a terrible idea as if one does it why not everyone? Our landlords rules stipulate no soil or mineral should be removed from the 'site' yet could this be interpreted to mean you can sell it to your plot neighbour when you leave?

Nobbie

Re: Allotment soil
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 22:14 »
Sounds like they've found a loophole in the rules, but not really cricket is it? How much have they transferred to the other plot? Is it the contents of raised beds?

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 07:09 »
Assuming he bought a load of soil for raised beds and sold it to someone else for raised beds (I would think the most likely scenario) he could justify it on the grounds that he bought, therefore owned the soil but generally people work on the premise that soil stays upon vacating a plot. I wouldn't sell anything except for tools personally but that's me.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 09:03 »
I have never heard of this happening... how disappointing for the next tenants  :(
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 12:50 »
It was the entire contents of a raised bed about 20 centimetres high and six to eight metres long, one or two wide. It is alleged that it is compost and therefore it can be sold. It has been on that plot for years. I think any compost or manure when added to a plot's soil should not be sold. It goes against what I consider to be basic principles of allotment gardening especially on a public site.

At best it will leave huge holes across the site as gardeners leave and seek to profit. At worst it might create a two tier system of those able to buy their neighbour's soil and those who can't. Not to mention the rapid transfer of soil borne pests and diseases.

Personally, I like the challenge of making my soil as good as I can by my own efforts.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 13:30 »
Good job he's left as it seems he can sell the ground from under your feet.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 16:03 »
I to have never come across this before because our rules are if you leave then all you do is close the gate behind you when you leave the site the plot stays soil and all for the next customer

i have to ask myself what id idiot would be so stupid as to buy second hand soil that mite contain contaminating soil to transfer it to there own plot brain dead or what >:(

could the purchaser be Simon simple Simon? :lol:

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 19:53 »
We have even provided free soil on the site.

There is one person defending the actions of this soil remover with levels of sophistry I've not seen outside the Houses of Parliament.

Does anyone want to buy any soil I've loads of it. There's three diseases that I know about, one of which can't be eradicated, hence the low, low price.

xx
Allotment Soil In Pots...?

Started by michellela on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 22:58
by michellela
xx
Allotment Soil Improver

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 17, 2017, 18:18
by riggers24
xx
How to improve my allotment soil

Started by riggers24 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 11, 2018, 22:25
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Allotment soil PH measurement (none chemical)

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 14:35
by greenhead

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 39 queries.