Charcoal finings.......soil conditioner?

• 6 Replies

snudz

« on: October 31, 2007, 20:56 »
Hi guys,

I have an almost unlimited supply of fine charcoal powder and bits (a byproduct of the charcoal we produce) and seem to remember reading or being told that it would make a great soil conditioner.  Could someone confirm this before I start digging a small mountain into my allotment.  What do you think, dig it in or continue filling in the potholes in the track to our coppice?

Cheers

Andy

WG.

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 21:06 »
It is almost pure carbon & will therefore cause serious nitrogen robbery.  Keep it away from the soil.

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 21:22 »
if you burn a bonfire add soil to it that has weeds in it .burn everything on the plot other than man mades .all organic stuff has a value .potash mainly .as wg says charcoal is just unburnt wood .burn it and it becomes ash .  :wink:
still alive /............

WG.

Re: Charcoal finings.......soil conditioner?
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 21:38 »
Quote from: "snudz"
a byproduct of the charcoal we produce
I'm sure you've looked into this but you can get briquetting machines which would give you another product.  Yes they are expensive.

I assume you are making / selling lumpwood charcoal?

snudz

Re: Charcoal finings.......soil conditioner?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 21:55 »
Thanks for all your replies guys.  Funnily enough, with all the brash we burn I've also got a good supply of wood ash too.  Collecting it could be fun.  I thought bagging charcoal was a dirty job.  (Imagine a REALLY dirty coalminer. :shock: )

Quote from: "WG."
I assume you are making / selling lumpwood charcoal?

Yes mate, strictly small scale though.  We're reverting a few acres of overgrown hazel coppice back to what will be a viable product in about 8 years!!!  Most of what we cut at the moment is only fit for charcoal at the moment.  Hopefully we'll be able to supply the allotment with bean poles and pea sticks though.  Sure beats bamboo.

Anyway, off my pulpit now. :roll:   Thanks again

Andy

mushroom

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 09:02 »
It is almost pure carbon & will therefore cause serious nitrogen robbery.  Keep it away from the soil.

I would have thought almost pure carbon would be inert at normal temperature. In order for carbon to cause nitrogen robbery, carbon must be in a bioavailable state - this is not the case with soot or anything approaching it in carbon content.

WG.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 09:19 »
Quote from: "mushroom"

I would have thought almost pure carbon would be inert at normal temperature. In order for carbon to cause nitrogen robbery, carbon must be in a bioavailable state - this is not the case with soot or anything approaching it in carbon content.
Mmmm - interesting.

I did some googling and found this which fully supports what you say. http://www.bidstrup.com/carbon.htm

xx
soil conditioner

Started by Cliff Hazard on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 18:45
by Cliff Hazard
xx
Soil Conditioner

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2018, 12:39
by hiccup
xx
Soil Conditioner query

Started by eeedowls on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 18, 2010, 10:56
by eeedowls
xx
adding charcoal dust to the soil

Started by ilan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 02, 2012, 22:33
by Salmo

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 40 queries.