Soil Conditioner query

• 12 Replies

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
Soil Conditioner query
« on: March 17, 2010, 09:52 »
Hi All

Can someone please tell me what is soil conditioning compost?  Is it useful to use as a growing medium?  I have seens large bags of it which are quite cheap compared to the general purpose stuff...

Please excuse my ignorance...  :unsure:

Salmo

Re: Soil Conditioner query
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:33 »
It is just organic matter with no fertilizer added.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:38 »
I have been advised that it is designed to be dug in not used to plant/sow directly into. I bought some last year and although it was a lovely dark mixture the bit that was not dug in set rock solid when it got some sun on it(even the little bit we had last year).

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 11:46 »
so it just hasn't got the goodies that other composts have?
 :blush:

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:18 »
so it just hasn't got the goodies that other composts have?
 :blush:

Soil Conditioner  a material added to soil to improve plant growth and health. The type of conditioner added depends on the current soil composition, climate, and the type of plant. Some soils lack nutrients necessary for proper plant growth and others hold too much or too little water. A conditioner or a combination of conditioners corrects the soil's deficiencies. Lime is used to make soil less acidic, as is lime-containing crushed stone. Fertilizers, such as peat, manure, anaerobic digestate or compost add depleted plant nutrients. Materials such as diatomaceous earth, clay, vermiculite, hydrogel, and shredded bark will make soil hold more water. Gypsum releases nutrients and improves soil structure. Sometimes a soil inoculant is added for legumes.

Unless clay is incorporated into a healthy crumb structure, water may bond to it too strongly to be available to plant roots.

Raw Peat is sometimes added to soil , but it has very little nutrients.  You can also use your used last years compost as a soil improver.

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 13:26 »
Yep - I understand all that and appreciate what a conditioner is - but I was wondering about soild conditioning compost... (unless there is no difference, in which case I apologise...

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 14:28 »
I've never heard of it either other than perhaps a new gimmick name to sell lower grade product. You can easily 'condition' your soil by collecting matter on your own. My favourite is fall leaves which I run through a shredder or sometimes just toss into my veg bed and run over it with the rotovator. Old chopped straw is also good, as is decaying bark chips, etc. Green manures are also an excellent source of soil conditioner and matter.

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 15:29 »
I've never heard of it either other than perhaps a new gimmick name to sell lower grade product. You can easily 'condition' your soil by collecting matter on your own. My favourite is fall leaves which I run through a shredder or sometimes just toss into my veg bed and run over it with the rotovator. Old chopped straw is also good, as is decaying bark chips, etc. Green manures are also an excellent source of soil conditioner and matter.

As far as  i know, there no such product called Soil Conditioning Compost that is a distinct product from Soil Conditioner.

I suggest its some invented store product buzz word. Unless its soil conditioner mixed with compost, but I dont see the point of that.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 16:40 »
It's just a fancy name for green waste compost from the huge municipal compost schemes run by many local authority's which collect garden waste from those who don't or can't compost themselves. My local council collect it every two weeks and you can buy bags of the result from the local re-cycling centre where there is also a huge skip to dump you green waste in.

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 20:15 »
Aw moose! you've gone and done it now, you mentioned the 'buy' word. Now all the council bright sparks will start charging us for this :lol:
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 21:09 »
Sorry, but I have to pay £2.50 for a 70 ltr bag.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 21:13 »
Just goes to show that getting your own back isn't always such a good idea.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 10:56 »
Thanks Guys for all the input.

maybe I know the reason why I didn't get much success last year now...

:D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 15:14 by eeedowls »

xx
soil conditioner

Started by Cliff Hazard on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 18:45
by Cliff Hazard
xx
Soil Conditioner

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2018, 12:39
by hiccup
xx
Charcoal finings.......soil conditioner?

Started by snudz on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 02, 2007, 09:19
by WG.
xx
soil drainage query

Started by drypulse on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 15:57
by drypulse

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 39 queries.