Hen suffered Fall, Advice Please!

• 6 Replies

Brood of Bournemouth

Hen suffered Fall, Advice Please!
« on: September 16, 2012, 22:00 »
At about 1100 today (Sun 16/09/12) my young polish hen flew in to a mesh screen and fell to the ground from about 6 feet, however she hit the roof of the nesting box hard before rolling onto the floor. Once on the ground she slumped down appearing lifeless, where i scooped her up to find her unconscious, eyes closed, floppy and gasping for air.
I held her upright with the head up to allow a good air flow for about 2-3 mins until her eyes opened and she stopped being floppy, after 5 mins I placed her back on her feet where she stood well without stumbling.

At this point even with no visible injuries, it was clear that she was far from okay, as she seemed in shock tail and head low, as she would if cold, she is also quiet and withdrawn. I have a young flock of 8 which have not pecked at her as she followed around for the rest of the afternoon, but she just stood with them without eating or drinking. When it came to them going to bed she did not go with them, so I have now got her bedded down inside in a box with food and water should she want it.

I take it that she suffered a head injury? Any advice you have then please do post. 

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Hen suffered Fall, Advice Please!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 23:08 »
Make sure she is warm and comfortable but not too hot.  You could try giving her a little honey mixed in boiled water and let to cool.  She will need to keep her fluids up so you will have to encourage her by dipping her beak in the water but not covering her nostrils.  You could use a syringe if you have one but just a little at a time and let her get her breath inbetween. 

I wonder if she has a broken egg in her system because of the fall.  One of my hens is reluctant to join the others in the coop when she is going to lay a soft shelled egg.  She also has the hunched up look and droopy tail.

She may have been winded and that would really knock her sick.  I did it when I slipped down a slide and it knocked the wind out of me, I couldn't get my breath for a while (many moons ago).  Really scary and not something I would like to experience ever again.

Good luck and I hope that she makes a quick recovery.

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 14:43 »
Hi how is your hen today?? have you taken her to see the vet. hope she gets better soon andy46
Pull up a perch!!

Brood of Bournemouth

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 22:17 »
She is not in lay yet so at least I don't have to worry about there being a broken egg inside of her.
I really was unsure about her surviving the night, however this morning she seemed and looked a lot better (70% herself), with her tail back up and neck longer. She started drinking and eating in her box, and as soon as i took her outside she started calling to the rest of the flock, so I decided to let her mix with them. 
Once back with the others she went between the pellets and water about 8 times, with no problem and looked much more confident.
I came home from work at lunch and gave the girls some cold porridge, with a little honey as suggested which she did eat a little.   

She still is far from being herself and did need a little push into bed along with my other polish hen, who had decided to roost outside with her, but she is at least taking care of herself and seems to be recovering, so I am happy to leave with the rest of the flock.

I will continue to monitor her progress tomorrow, and will keep you all informed.

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 22:20 »
Thanks for the update and I hope she improves even more tomorrow.   ;)

Brood of Bournemouth

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 20:24 »
Again I saw improvement today (90% herself), she has been eating, drinking and looks more confident to get involved in what the others are getting up to. When it came to going to bed she took a few nudges from the other polish hen, but she did hop down from where she was perched and went into the coop.
Thank you for the support and advice. 

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 21:48 »
Glad she is slowly recovering, fingers crossed for a full recovery.   :D

xx
pheasants price will fall

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 07, 2006, 21:12
by muntjac
xx
Why would baby chicks fall on their back and not right themselves?

Started by christine.upchurch on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 09:19
by Helenaj
xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
hen run advice

Started by john d on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 13, 2018, 09:59
by rowbow

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 39 queries.