Advice please

• 3 Replies

dugless

Advice please
« on: June 07, 2009, 15:34 »
In January I took on four ex bats Polly Rosey Clara Be Be,Aka (Bossy Breechers). called that as she appeared to be just that with the backing of Polly. Now on Mothers day we lost Polly and since then  Clara seems to be top hen with the backing of Rosey, and now Bebe seems to have problems with her eggs the shells are not forming quite right and she spendstime in the nest box but dose not always lay. we dont know if she is not feeding right because of the other two standing in the food tray or if she is missing polly. Now for the advice should we get another hen to keep her company? And while I think about it is Comfry good for them if so how much should they have at a time please?
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

Vember

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 15:40 »
When you say the eggs aren't forming right are they soft shelled?  Do they have plenty of oyster shell down?

Might be an idea to get some limestone powder if she's laying soft shelled eggs to increase her calcium levels a bit :)

As for food an extra food tray may help as she'll be able to tuck into one lot whilst the other 2 eat the other :D

I'm going to pop you into the Hen House Dugless, hold on to your hats :D

Sarah :)

dugless

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 16:18 »
One egg about a week ago was soft shelled  then Thursday we had one that had a white area then yesterday another with a white area.
we just tried your idea of a seperate food tray and Clara went stright over and started to eat it pushing Bebe out of the way, as we give them a mash feed with oystershell and grit on top  it seems possible the she is not getting enough calcium, hope this is the problem as I can easily solve that one.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 16:23 »
Feed the oyster shell in a seperate container and leave it out all day, so she can get some when the others aren't near it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Advice Please.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 20:19
by richyrich7
exclamation
New to all this and really need advice.

Started by greeneyesgreedy on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 18:23
by oddpaws
xx
After some advice please

Started by tracy66 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2011, 23:14
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 39 queries.