Pheasants

• 5 Replies

Prod

Pheasants
« on: June 28, 2014, 22:55 »
My cottage is next to a churchyard and we have seen pheasants, Colin & Norma (don't ask), nesting in the graveyard for the last 3 years. They have sometimes come into our garden mainly to eat the food that drops from the wild bird feeders but they have now started coming into the small field where I keep the chickens which is not a problem but today I saw the hen actually eating from the Grandpa's feeder. I still don't mind but I am surprised that they have obviously learnt what to do by watching the chickens. Has anyone else come across this? The chickens don't seem bothered, should I be??

Sassy

Re: Pheasants
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 23:19 »
There is always the danger of nasties being passed from the wild bird population. However, I personally feel this has to be offset by the quality of life a free ranging chook has! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 09:08 »
Many pheasant shoots have mechanical feeders in the woods to stop the birds straying too far so the pheasants may have been fed by those in the past.
I would not worry too much if your hens are inoculated , a bit more concern if they are home reared and not .
Short of keeping the hens indoors full time they have to take their chances with any wildlife born diseases.

Prod

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 09:14 »
I agree with both the above replies, the majority of my birds free range but I have 2 pens where I keep the cockerels and their little flocks. It is amazing how small a gap some birds can get through. I have a small, 2 bird, ark that my broody is in which has a built on run but each morning I was finding sparrows, robins and finches inside which I obviously let free when I opened the top. I could not work out how they were getting till I saw one fly down and go under the tiny gap beneath the coop, they literally must have crawled through.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 16:34 »
They can carry gapeworm..pheasants here won't come into the garden..prob due to the chooks and me.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 18:29 »
Male pheasants can also mate with hens and the offspring are infertile.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Chickens and Pheasants

Started by addy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 21:09
by ANHBUC
xx
golden pheasants

Started by reddragon on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 18:52
by Ice
xx
Hen hatched out pheasants

Started by kizza on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 05, 2007, 14:41
by muntjac
xx
How do you tame pheasants?

Started by EzLou on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 00:15
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 39 queries.